Subject Author Posted Replies

Electricity distribution question
Last night, actually early hours of this morning, we were getting multiple short power cuts but also one of our RCDs recurrently tripping and a UPS switching to battery every few seconds for less than...
19
19

Surprising rechargeable cell life
Clearing out the shed I came across my old 4.8v Challenge Extreme powered screwdriver, which I hadn't seen for at least 6 years (I use my Hitachi drill/driver instead). When I opened the box and took...
15
15

Dulux
Banned by the Fourth Reich.
11
11

Best rig-up to charge batteries from solar?
Apparently the virus is purely biological and does not infect power stations. Bill
24
24

Wood preserver
Creosote is the only good one now. It kills plants of course. Cuprinol was copper powder in oil, hence the name. I daresay the original formula could be made fairly easily, but it requires very...
8
8

OT(ish) structural timber and time of year for build
Having just taken delivery of a batch of timber in the pouring rain, and having stacked it under cover to dry out (at least on the surface) I am assuming that it will have a reasonably high moisture...
2
2

Printer carts.
As they say, you learn something new each day. Epson ink jet had a severe head clog cleaning wouldn't fix. And the ink had nearly run out too, and no spares left. Ordered up a cleaning kit and some...
16
16

GPS & Fart-Smones
Hi, In a Peugeot self help group a couple of people have suggested that domestic Sat navy and google maps on IOS, etc triangulate directly with gps satellites. Is that really the case? And if so, why...
5
5

Isambard Kingdom Brunel FRS was a British civil engineer[...]
Isambard Kingdom Brunel FRS (1806?1859) was a British civil engineer who is considered "one of the most ingenious & prolific figures in engineering history", "one of the 19th-century engineering...
50
50

OT: Greta in Bristol
When the UK's finally out of the EU shitshow at the end of this year, troublemaking little c*nts like this can be denied entry visas. Can't come soon enough IMV!

Splitting car antennas
Well anything is possible I guess, if you use a resistive one there will be losses, but inductive ones might be less lossy, after all those sets with just one input have to be doing it inside unless...
6
6

FM in Denmark
Hi All, Someone in Denmark is interested in buying my Peugeot OEM Head Unit. Leaving aside that the manufacturers might have crippled it so that only VIN numbers of UK vehicles can be programmed into...
19
19

Silent wall switches
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are quieter or even silent? It seems to me that older switches aren't...
23
23

Microbore pipe fittings
Hi all, Anyone recognise these items from a 1/8" copper pipe union? I need to order some more but don;t know what they're called. Never seen 'em before! The nut fits a 7/16 spanner and I particularly...
7
7

grey as earth/cpc?
Can I use some 3 phase SWA on 1 phase, using the grey taped over as cpc? It needs to comply with the 18th. NT
4
4