Subject Author Posted Replies

VAt, import duty, advancement fee...
Pal in the US wanted a modern engine ECU (MegaSquirt) built into the case of the original. It's a NAS spec Rover. Californian MOT includes a visual inspection for non standard parts. As well as an...
10
10

Re: OT: Herd Imunity to COVID-19 could be much lower than previously expected
| | | The fact that the number of infections must be positive allows Bayesian constraints on | | | positivity to improve the precision of their estimate. Indeed. I implemented a Bayesian spam filter...

Leaky tap
Anyone familiar with this type of tap ? if so how do I cure the leak ? https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-RCX9MNt/0/f0430705/X3/i-RCX9MNt-X3.jpg...
4
4

OT:Beige Eggs was White Eggs
Just as so nobody will turn up at their local Tesco and be disappointed, in my local Tesco at least they seem to have run out of white eggs - in large free range half dozens at least, and have...
12
12

Fixings into concrete fence post
I'm planning to hang a pair of wooden garden gates between the house wall on one side and a concrete fence post on the other. The hinge posts (i.e. the wooden post fixed to both the wall and the fence...
20
20

Re: Friggin' b&d scorpion
Take it the charity shop. When they ask you why you are donating it, Tell them you are too stupid to be how to work out how to put a blade in it. --
11
11

Plaster shortage?
Has anyone encountered a shortage of plaster in the sheds? Asking for a friend. :-) Cheers Dave R
10
10

Battery fluorescent torch renovation
I have an old battery (6 x D cells) torch which has a fluorescent tube, a spotlight and a flashing light behind a red (plastic) glass. The torch also has a DC power input of unspecified voltage which...
39
39

Gate with one gatepost
The wall top is at ground level and the gate swings over it. So I either need a plate with a bolt hole that goes over the top of the wall or a big loop of metal or wood that extends from the gatepost...
13
13

Binoculars: refurbish possible?
I've got an old (c.25 years) pair of binoculars which are "hazing" due to age: I'm assuming that the haze is internal -- the four outside lens surfaces get cleaned regularly. I've often looked at...
12
12

New wiki article for review
One I had bean meaning to write for some time, but it got touched on in another thread, so I thought I might as well do it now: free to comment / fix / impove as required.
22
22

Identify a thread
I have a thread I could do with some help to identify. It's on a 2 gallon steel container .. so assuming imperial is a good start . It is the male thread on a welded on pipe... It's a parallel male...
19
19

Time Served Skilled Plumber
People would call a plumber to fix a central heating system - but is much of their formal training allocated to things like Boiler Logic, Heat calculations, Flow rates, etc. After lending an ear to a...
13
13

OT:prescriptions
alan_m formulated on Tuesday : But so much less likely to go wrong, than a human/ paper trail system.
50
50

Half of Sizewell B switched off
National Grid are paying EDF to switch off half of Sizewell B. Demand is so low due to lockdown there is too much generation on the grid making it tricky to balance. artical says the minimum demand...
59
59