Subject Author Posted Replies

Filling holes in doors after removing Yale surface locks
You can use a router with a template and the right set of bushes[1] to cut a recess in the door, and then an exactly matching plug from some other timber. This will let you route out the imperfection...
36
36

Radiator valve ID
Some of our radiators seem to be missing part of the valves: pin goes in if you press it) Am I right in thinking this is the base of a TRV which somebody has half inched? There doesn't appear to be...
9
9

MP3 files and sound quality
Perhaps only peripherally DIY but there's such a lot of computer expertise here. I was surprised today to see a reference to "a poor quality fifth-generation mp3 file" - I thought that digital files...
30
30

Why do we have modesty panels on desks?
WTF? How is opening a door anything remotely like sitting at a desk?
30
30

Concrete with small size aggregate
I am looking for a concrete that contains small size "stones". Is there such a thing? fine concrete is a different thing altogether I have found.
9
9

Lever basin taps.
The cold tap on our basin needs a new washer but these were only cheap ones I fitted some 20+ years ago. With her arthritic hands and especially with soapy tap heads they aren't as easy to turn on...
2
2

Linseed oil mastic...???
"The name putty is also applied to substances resembling putty, such as red-lead putty, mixtures of red and white lead and linseed oil." Somehow, that doesn't sound all that safe. Paul
2
2

Re: RME Glasgow
remembers RME Glasgow ? ..... ==== I don't but I was there in 86:) Image DSCF1811 hosted in ImgBB
11
11

Re: thanks boris
:))) Image 96451980-181035850022275-7857447586322448384-o hosted in ImgBB Image 96451980-181035850022275-7857447586322448384-o hosted in ImgBB

DIY of sorts: roadside animal euthanasia
Encountered a badly injured deer (Muntjack, or perhaps a young regular one) by the side of the road this evening. There was a car already pulled up by it and the critter looked in a bad way (lots of...
26
26

Source for replacement one-way "duckbill" valve for waste outlert
Following my tackling the whiff from the kitchen sink, the silicone insert non-return/one-way valve is fucked. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy just the valve, without the containing pipe ?
1
1

Wood finish
Our oak dinning table is exposed to the sun for an hour a day or so, and was last treated around 10 years ago - can't remember what with (oil?). After many years of abuse it can now do with some...
1
1

Fractal Wallpaper.
I remember back many moons ago those lovely junia set Fractal patterns of ever repeating shapes at smaller sizes used to fascinate me. and I wondered if anyone had ever made wallpaper using them....
11
11

Laptop PSU - Cordless Hedge Trimmer
If the battery holder has separate charging control, the laptop psu /might/ work, though 19v is likely too low. If no separate charge control it might or might not be a bad idea to try it. NT
6
6

OT: Digital TV Mux / frequencies / Linux?
Evenin. USB dual DTV-T tuner (Hauppauge Nova-TD Stick/Elgato Eye-TV Diversity) in a PC running Linux Mint 18.3 / 64: (also dual booting W10). .. and if run a w-scan I get: tim@Linux ~ $ sudo w_scan -c...
10
10