Subject Author Posted Replies

Smart meter useage analysis - how accurate?
With my EDF smart meter on monthly billing, there is an analysis page which says how much you used for hot water, heating, standby devices, cooking etc. Given that we have no devices which report back...
7
7

Makita jig saw - DJV185 or DJV181?
I'm in the mood for a new Mak 18V jig saw to replace a 230V PPro and can't decide between the DJV185 and the DJV181. The 185 is smaller and has a slightly shorter stroke than the 181 but otherwise I...
10
10

Electrical back box orientation
Maybe a stupid question. But is there a correct orientation? Fixed lug on left/right? Earthing post at top/bottom?
14
14

General purpose saw for tree stumps
I have four conifer tree stumps to chop down to ground level before stump grinding. They're about 18" diameter and have been chopped some months ago (so in theory dead but maybe still green to some...
22
22

Lime plastering - How Much!!!
I live in a 100 year old detached house. Most of the damp problems have been solved over the years and particularly by the installation of a positive pressure loft fan (despite what I was told here)....
9
9

Allocation of rings to CU
Hi All, It's taking me quite some time to get around to the rewiring of my old house. I've had the building inspector around for the first fix visit, and he said he won't need to come back until it's...
15
15

Acoustic Heat Pumps
Any one considered an Acoustic Heat Pump? The two brands that I am aware off are and The products being developed are not yet available to buy. AIUI these pumps are more effective than the heat pumps...
17
17

DIY solar installs now eligible for Smart Export Guarantee payments
Up until now, solar and/or battery installations have needed to be done by an MCS registered installer to get access to export tariffs. This has now changed, at least for Octopus: "5.8 Where you are...
3
3

One stroke engine of the future
Apologies to BG - it's a video (but the description is quite clear) https://innengine.com Balance: https://youtu.be/TQlyS2rw-sk Today I’d like to introduce you to a very special engine. It claims to...
10
10

Squirrel on the nets, rat on the lawn ...
Had a text from SWMBO Wednesday, saying she had encountered a squirrel climbing the net curtain in the lounge. It vamoosed when she entered the room. The just now, having lunch, I caught a movement...
9
9

Are all deck mounting tap hole distances the same?
Ive got some dead kitchen taps in a utility room that need replacing. The sink is a yonks old POS stainless steel stamping with two cutouts. The old taps were individual, but I'd prefer to pop a mixer...
4
4

De-coking an oil Aga
Ive been running this for 20+ years and every 6 months as fuels have degraded, it needs the burner decoking. This is normally an hours struggle with chisels and sharp knives and the like. Until the...
1
1

kitchen scales oddity
We have a cheap electronics kitchen scale (Salter) that when you turn it on, it lights up the display and after about one second shows zero grams. About half a second later the display changes to 2 or...
10
10

Thunderbird settings to read Usenet News?
I've moved to a new Windows computer and installed Thunderbird version 115.1.1 on it and transferred the old profile folder. It works fine for email and is picking up Usenet News but I can't get the...
25
25

Earthing/grounding mat for bed: Anecdotal experience?
Has anybody here ever tried one of these earthing/grounding mats?
47
47