Subject Author Posted Replies

What the builders left behind.....
Hi all, We found these things lying around after the builders left and were wondering what they're for and what they are. Does anyone recognize them? They're just under 6" long and made from some...
40
40

How to make a hearth for a woodburner in the shed?
A small stone outbuilding I am fixing up to be reasonably warm and dry as a workshop / office / store. The floor is concrete poured onto a polythene sheet onto the earth floor. I am going to fix 2x1...
27
27

OT: seeding the clouds
I know it is possible to encourage precipitation by seeding the clouds with substances like sodium iodide or potassium iodide, from an aircraft. A friend and I were discussing whether the Australians...
17
17

Inhibitor for a combi
Never had a combi, but parents house has a Baxi 100HE Thinking it would be a good idea to flush, run a system cleaner, then install inhibitor. I have bottles of those for free. How do you install...
7
7

Door 'closer' to prevent door banging
What sort of door 'closer' do I need to prevent a back door banging closed? It's just a plain[ish] solid wooden door that closes with a bang and a rattle if you close it at all carelessly....
14
14

Hammerite question 2
I treated parts of the fence with red oxide primer before painting it with Hammerite. The treated parts seemed a bit more difficult to cover with some red bits showing through and the 'grip' was not...
26
26

waste of time and money ? ....
If you have 9 inch solid walls with no insulation, isn't this still worthwhile ?.
22
22

Fan convector “wet” radiators
Due to possible installation of another log burner, we may have to replace a 600 x 1600 K2 type radiator with something smaller. We could possibly fit a 600x1000mm radiator in its place but I?m...
20
20

Changing a bath tap washer
I haven't had a need to change a conventional tap washer for maybe 30 years, but when the cold-water bath tap needed to be turned off hard to stop the flow I reckoned it was time to replace the...
8
8

Agricultural Trailer Renovation Project anyone? (East Yorkshire)
I've been using an old Weekes two wheel tipping trailer for many years to collect horsemuck and have it taken away by a local farmer. It's been patched up and kept going a few times but the tipping...
12
12

Re: OT yes it has...
If I wake up feeling like football I go back to bed until I feel better!
10
10

Re: WTF Happened In 1971? [By a website of the same name.]
Steve Forbes, June 18, 2014.: "As Brad indicated, the book is about money & monetary policy, & money, particularly monetary policy is one of those topics, that seems to intimidate a lot of people, for...
1
1

Trolley Buses - any enthusiast?
Yes, during the house building boom of the sixties it was cheaper and quicker to provide diesel buses to all the outlying housing estates. The main road by our estate had trolley buses but a gas leak...
107
107

Finishing treatment for external wood
In article >, Dave Liquorice wrote: I'd be amazed if you could shear an SS screw before brass?
19
19

OT exploding tins
12 months ago, just before I scrapped the car, I went to the supermarket and bought a number of multipacks of tinned drinks Now I am suffering from these tins spontaneously "exploding" and depositing...
23
23