Subject Author Posted Replies

The easy way to lay conmcrete blocks.
2

Serendipity
Years of patient squirreling have finally paid off! You know, those endless wall warts, acquired with the latest mobile phone etc. Searching through my box of possibles, I was able to match the output...
11
11

emergency tyre repairs
?Tire flat inflation and seal products do work however they are for emergency use only,? Akers told me. ?We find they can caus e irreparable damage to the rim of the tire you?re repairing.? ? Really ?...
43
43

Duff drill bits
I've just ordered a saw horse in the form of four metal "tuning forks" which are inserted a log-length apart into a piece of 4x4 timber, as a base to which the "forks" and some legs are attached. The...
21
21

Painting galvanised steel
I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel. There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on,...
16
16

Premazor 57 weed killer
Can anyone advise the dilutions rates for this product. Google is no help (for me anyway)
16
16

Toilet Cisterns
Why have they become so complicated. Went to see daughter's - slight noise - obviously light leak past fill valve - the likes of the whole thing defeated me - the flush valve had quadrant gears! - the...
1
1

Does what it says on the can
Needed some floor paint for the garage - I don't keep a car in there - but was frustrated by the dust when I swept it - last painted in 1988. Bought some Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Paint today. I...
4
4

Is the Earth really overpopulated?
Is the Earth really overpopulated? Yes, for two main reasons. First, people are rapidly displacing wildlife species across the globe, initiating a mass extinction event. Second, we ar e degrading...

Rate of Flow versus Pressure
As is utterly predictable, grab the nearest diversion when the polls look b ad. "Donald Trump?s hair has mesmerized many observers since he began h is career in politics, but now the president?s own...
2
2

Crap Tools
This morning I tried to undo the oil *filler* plug of my BMW's ZF 6-speed automatic gearbox so I could change the oil and filter. I managed to find an allen key that was an excellent fit (8mm) but the...
21
21

Wasps
We have a very large wasps' nest inside the eaves of our roof - football size. (My question is at the end of this message.) I've repeatedly sprayed it with the excellent Rentokil "Wasp Nest...
21
21

FTTS (Fibre to the shed)
Hi All, I have settled on running my mains cable to the shed in buried conduit and have decided a fixed network link makes sense. I was going to run CAT5 (naughty but cheap (or so I thought)). But it...
24
24

Air source heat pumps - difference from aircon (if any)?
I was thinking about air conditioning anyway - longer term fit because I assume that installers will be very busy at the moment - and assumed that the standard split unit air conditioning (compressor...
13
13

Problems drilling hard concrete and using screw anchors
I finally got round to putting up the handrail I mentioned in a post a week or two ago. The company I bought it from modified their standard design after I sent them photos where it was to be fitted....
55
55