Subject Author Posted Replies

Securing a CU to a wall
I have been trying to wire in the last few circuits into my previously installed CU and have been having problems with the fixings. From previous posts you may recall that barring three cables coming...
5
5

HSS BSW taps - source?
Apologies for starting a thread that's related to DIY, rather than another OT thread of the sort which increasingly appear here ... I've just broken my last 3/16 BSW taper tap so need to get a couple...
5
5

Pop up wastes.
Is it my imagination or do pop up basin wastes have a very (6 months) short life before sticking shut and generally being annoying?
34
34

Starter relay and huge power consumption?
I bought a (new, aftermarket replacement) starter relay for a vintage Vauxhall (GM/Opel) (which was mis-sold as a starter solenoid, but nevermind) with the intention of using it for another purpose, a...
35
35

Email server settings
Can somebody tell me... Our web host had us using (for example) for email server settings whereas Thunderbird et al autodetects Both seem to work equally well. But when they move us to a different...
6
6

Who would have thought
It's more than 120V. It's even more than the other 120V! It is the sum of the two (and sometimes a different two!) that makes us who we are. Learn about the US electrical system in this not-at-all...
15
15

ever had this problem ? ...

OT: The price of depending on interconnects WTWDBATSDS
it is of immediate relevance to Brexit, and no doubt all the Remainers will be crowing, it does make the longer point that being dependent on supplementing our own electricity supply with terawatts of...
24
24

MIG welding question
One of my many projects is to restore the (large number of) 1930s steel, Crittall, casements in my house, and the wooden frames they sit in. The problems are that the windows have leaded lights and...
9
9

Name that screw
I have a need to find a replacement screw Luckily thread is nothing esoteric M4 x 8 If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin. Anybody know if there is a name for this...
86
86

What polarity should I use to charge the cordless battery on my Black & Decker 9.6v drill
What polarity should I use to charge the cordless battery on my Black & Decker 9.6v drill. I lost the adapter that came with it. I have a multi volt adapter with a polarity switch. What polarity...
2
2

Wifi repeater WN3500NP and virtual MACs
Trying to improve my wifi coverage, I have just bought a used Netgear WN3500NP repeater. It just connects to my main router (OpenWRT) via wifi and provides an additional access point further away. All...
4
4

OT - What will be completely unacceptable in 100 years - or even 50
[snip] 50 years ago (or perhaps more) some people were expecting that we'd have given up food altogether by now, and just imbibe a small plate of pills everyday which would replace food. This...
195
195

OT Geothermal energy
Be one of the first 500 people to sign up with this link and get 20% off your subscription with Brilliant.org! https://brilliant.org/realengineering/ New streaming platform: https://watchnebula.com/...
8
8

TOT Unusual emergency vehicle
Just off the M27 near J7 yesterday morning. A black or very dark green Land Rover with sirens and blue lights. On top were two or three short ladders the same colour as the vehicle. The Land Rover...
14
14