Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Smart meters again
OK, just had a smart meter fitted. We have a mobile mast less than a mile away, no no prob with a mobile signal here, but Chummy said there's no signal where the meter is, under the stairs. What...
23
23

General musing - how long would you expect modern appliances to last?
This thought prompted by a water leak on our dishwasher. We had a new kitchen about 8 years ago. The extractor hood lasted about 5 years then I had to replace it. The dishwasher is now leaking and the...
49
49

Dishwasher service manual? Can you get these? Lamona LAM8670 water leak.
So, I have removed the kick board and run the loaded dishwasher and can now see where the water is coming from. Not much help, really, without knowing what is behind the panel. My next step was to...
8
8

strange ......OT
Why are there so many black people in Emmardale farm these days ?....Shirley they like cities better and don't like cold places like up north and Scotland.....

OT: Latest Amazon witticism
As I had to do a bit of work recently on my server, I spent some time moving a display from one system to another. So to avoid this in future I ordered one of these: two HDMI cables, a 0.3 and a 0.9...
4
4

Preventing a crack in a plasterboard ceiling.
As part of a re-furb in the cloakroom - new lighting and different plumbing, I'll have to replace the plasterboard ceiling. Approximately 1.4 x 1.2 meters. Joists along the major axis. About half way...
22
22

Dehumidifier recommendations
I've had an ebac 2650e for about five years and it works well enough, but it's getting a bit too heavy to take up & down stairs so I'm looking to buy a second dehumidifier for upstairs. Most of the...
21
21

Why did warm air central heating go out of fashion?
It used to be we had open fires. But then hot water radiators came in - much cleaner, and easier to manage. Nowadays we seem to be moving towards underfloor heating - where effectively the entire...
75
75

This guy is brilliant
This group of popup scammers got a little more than they bargained for after I called them. The fake company names are: https://www.techknacks.com https://techknacks.us The real name of the company...
24
24

Bloody wasps part 2
Having previously offed 3 in the conservatory and 2 in the room with the wood burner, I went outside to fill the log basket from the wood pile, only to find a couple more puzzled queen wasps emerging...
9
9

Cleaning printing off cables
I ordered some white PVC flex to replace a pendant lampholder. Unfortunately when it came it turned out to have conspicuous 'dot matrix' style black printing along the length. This makes it unsightly...
11
11

diy hydraulic fittings?
I'm working on daughters new (to her, 21 year old) Honda motorbike. She would normally do it (under my supervision) but Covid etc etc. I've done the chain and sprockets (un-seizing the rear brake in...
21
21

Boiler Losing Pressure II
Posted a couple of weeks back - boiler losing pressure, needing half a pint or so a day. I've checked the expansion tank and overflow, and all of the below the floor pipes. I've checked most of the...
16
16

Re: Are Powered Posthole borers any good?
The truck mounted ones are good as mass of truck keeps it straight ... hand held one just throw all over the place when they hits stones.
1
1

Built in appliances and kick boards - a general comment
Having struggled to remove the kick boards (it should have been easy but extra bits had been added beyond clips) I looked at the built in washing machine. It looks to have a washing machine style...
9
9