Subject Author Posted Replies

Charging electric cars
Should all electric cars use a standard European wide charging plug? Just how safe is charging an electric car when it is pouring with rain?
6
6

Kitchen Units kick board
I have just positioned a tall oven housing and some base units in our galley type kitchen. I started at the oven housing as it needed a cutout to fit round a ventilation duct. The kick board supplied...
5
5

Radiant bath/shower heater with countdown timer - ideas?
We want to put a radiant electric heater in our downstairs shower room, it's not used often enough to want to keep it permanently heated so a radiant heater of some sort would seem to make sense. So...
18
18

Basic mono tap.
Bought a mono basin tap from Screwfix today. Came with a fitting kit. The flexible connectors had tap connectors at the other end - that would fit a basic 1/2" tap. Surely that is the wrong sex, as it...
17
17

Heavy Radiator
Neet to fix a heavey vertical radiator to breeze block + Dab and dot Plasterboard. Worried that tightening the fixing may fracture the plasterboard. Should I worry? If so what should I do to avoid the...
47
47

Drayton Digistat RF3 failed
The programmale 'stat is no longer talking to the receiver, even from close range. The batteries were OK but I put in new one (2 batteries of 2 AA cells each) just in case. It used 333MHz signal, so...
13
13

Overboarded wall, drywall backboxes?
I've overboarded some walls and got them lovely and straight/flat with thin timbers and expanding foam, Such that in adding some new sockets if cut a hole and chip out the old plaster behind I could...
22
22

on-line shopping and deliveries
Do people check off the items one by one - or merely take the stuff and later realise something is missing?
38
38

Cutting plastic magnet
Are there any downsided to cutting (scalloping) a small piece out of a soft magnet? My wife bought a magnetic seam guide as per problem is on her machine when she is doing a close seam (1/4") the...
7
7

worcester bosch boiler pressure
I have a worcester bosch boiler, whose pressure dial is all over the place. Sometimes it's at close to zero in the red zone, sometimes it's just in the green zone. It's been behaving this way for many...
16
16

Re-celling a NiCd drill battery
Hi all To those that recognise me - long time no see, it's been a while!! I'm wanting to re-cell my old cordless Makita 8390D drill - at least one of the three power packs, maybe more.... I'm aware...
17
17

shocking
Dr Suzannah Lipscomb looks at the damage caused by the hazardous new inventions lurking in British people's homes as the 20th century dawned under the reign King Edward VII. Content licensed from DRG....
5
5

Four legs exposed to the damp concrete.
Hello... I have a construction (made of wood) which is built around 4 legs. I have painted the main body of the construct (4 or 5 coats) so it can stand outside in the elements. Where the wooden legs...
17
17

NiMh battery charging.
I was going through my collection of rechargeable batteries, sorting the wheat from the chaff and because many seemed to be pretty low on capacity / dead (or waiting for attempted resurrection), I...
32
32

Wallpapering question
I have carried out a small repair to a wall using filler (first 'One Strike' then 'No Nonsense'). I need to cover this with Anaglypta. I wonder what preparaton (if any) is needed and wondered about: -...
34
34