Subject Author Posted Replies

Windows 7 & 10 on one machine?
Following from my Windows is weird thread, but perhaps justifying a separate one, a new question: my desktop PC runs Windows 7, with the OS loaded onto an SSD drive. From an earlier experiment with...
75
75

Car key fob.
One of my remote (Jaguar) key fobs was intermittent and then stopped altogether. I tried bending the battery contacts, but to no avail. The least cost option I could find was to send the whole unit to...
22
22

An interesting article
1987's Acorn Archimedes was the first production RISC-based personal computer.
5
5

Home Automation / Home Assistant automation?
With some good pointers from the Home Automaters here I've been experimenting with a starter HA system (from Lidl). Their Silvercrest rebranded Tuya ZigBee gear all seemed to work out of the box (hub,...
8
8

Santa has been early
But the elves have been very naughty under the tyre this morning. File:Naughty.jpg - DIYWiki
20
20

Windows is weird.
Any suggestions as to why my Windows 7 (Home Premium) desktop PC insists on telling me that it's updating the operating system (always with three updates) every single time I switch it off or reboot...
174
174

OT:One good reason for a landline ...
Expecting a call from Dr. on my mobile. All charged, ringer on. Full service. Thing has just beeped with a voicemail left by Dr. No record of a missed call on phone. So despite being in full service...
7
7

how to stain wood
"So I watched this video yet I still don't know how to stain wood" Thanks for Watching "How to DO it". This is Part 2 of a 3 part episode on "How to Rehab a Wood Shelf". Part 1 was Sanding...
4
4

dashcam problems
New Nextbase 322gw with rear window cam module. the rear module is plugged in the camera freezes. Tried all different start up procedures but no difference. Back to shop where they gave me a new rear...
14
14

Shortages and rationing
Shortages and rationing coming our way.....panic buy now ! ..... this time we need to ...... I've done mine freezers are full ..... this is the big one.....
80
80

Hidden ceiling insulation
I have a loft conversion with a sloping ceiling up against the rafters. Going over it with a thermal camera it can see the rafters, and it appears some of the bays have been 'forgotten' in terms of...
9
9

Jupiter, Saturn, Appulse, Conjunction, Occultation
Having been corrected by A.N.Other better informed than I, I googled and found this ... 21 December 2020: Jupiter and Saturn will make their closest approach since the year 1623. – In-The-Sky.org.
2
2

Year planner.
People used to give me a desk top diary so I never acquired one for the PC. Anyone care to recommend something that will work in Firefox and be happy on W7 pro 32 bit?
35
35

OT: Talking of pandemics ...
I would be interested to hear what some here (so not the trolls etc) think of this: covers the progress of Covid / the Pandemic over this year (and why it makes sense to stop fucking about with...
27
27

DIY Astronomy for Jupiter and Saturn?
Just been out (17:00 PM on Sun 2th Dec) to spot the impending occlusion of Saturn by Jupiter. At about 11 o'clock from Jupiter and about "a couple of mm" away is another, fainter, object. Would this...
13
13