Subject Author Posted Replies

Decorating - hairline crack
Hairline crack I have a couple of fine cracks in the skim of my kitchen from when it was extended. (skim on Plasterboard) Just wondering what to do before redecorating (emulsion). Do I need to rake...
6
6

OT: Purveyers of animal suffering 'fighting back'.
It was interesting to see an advert on TV earlier: 'Eat balanced', showing the highly glamorised ideal of beef cows grazing on green pasture with the commentary telling us they will be eating plants...
132
132

Two Internet questions
The first concerns Thunderbird and sending emails, the second concerns Firefox, Google Street View and screen shots. In the past, when I sent an email via TB, it put a copy directly into my 'sent'...
14
14

OT: Digital Speedometer
My latest car has a screen instead of the traditional instrument binnacle, so far so good. It displays all the information in the main fairly easily to read. It also displays your speed digitally...
160
160

Old electrician
I wonder if this will apply to Adam one day. I just heard about a guy (for real, apparently) who was an electrician who didn't want to give up work, and worked way beyond retirement age. He got the...
2
2

Some sort of restraint or chain
I have this thing; it has a control panel on the top surface, so if it rains the switches etc will get wet. I've made a hinged cover from perspex. That's fine, except that when it's open it can fall...
17
17

[G1KQH] VAT we are confused, but even they are confused?
As I understand, £135 value comes from the 150 euro limit for tariff-free / duty-free purchases. It has been there for years.
2
2

First day back at work (and yes it does involve an apprentice)
He turned up on time but on the wrong day. The stupid bastard booked this week off work and forgot.
6
6

CH Motorised Valve Problem
The Honeywell Motorised valve controlling the CH is sticking in the Open position so the heating is running continuously. In this condition there is no resistance when moving the manual lever on the...
5
5

Once upon a time there was a special glue for china
It was white. They didn't have any in Been and Queued - is it just them, or is there something better? Epoxy tends to leave a dark line. Andy
15
15

OT Ubuntu email client recommendation
Hi All, I usually do my emails either on my phone or using the yahoo web client. I had a great, rich design email conversation a while ago with lots of to and fro and several concurrent threads etc. I...
14
14

LED panels to mount *on* a surface, preferably square
My old fluorescent light in my study is on its last legs and I'm thinking of replacing it with a pair of LED panels, probably of the order of 12 watts each. The trouble is that these really need to be...
12
12

Flickering LED light tent
The LEDs are flickering in a light tent (Puluz 60cm) If I buy a new power supply it's either going to take an age or cost a bucket in shipping. Output 12V 2A 'constant current', dimmable. So, Why...
17
17

One for design techs.
I've been asked to repair the central locking controller on an early Rover SD1. Bit of history. That car was pretty early in the UK in having electric central locking. It uses solenoids, rather than...
5
5

OT: Computer chair
I seem to be spending more and more time at the desk in front of the computer/laptop and I'm not sitting comfortably. This is home use for a retired man. Elsewhere I'm being pointed to Herman Miller...
27
27