Subject Author Posted Replies

Combi condensate - trap/vent/valve?
The condensate from my combi boiler drains via a connection at the kitchen sink waste. Whenever the sink is emptied (etc.) this produces a bubbling sound from the boiler, which I'd guess is caused by...
8
8

OT Wrist thermometer detection
A a few places I work at you get your temperature checked by offering your wrist up to a machine. The machine then says in a loud voice "safe" It's a boring voice. Any suggestions for changing "safe"...
8
8

One for Bill. Wierd aerial issue
Just noticed this thread on the AVFORUMS site. didn't know there was an 'omni-directional' freeview aerial. read the thread and look at the photos. The elderly neighbours have an external aerial on...
13
13

Electric vehicles
Lots of post on them but what do they cost
94
94

*Five* wire overhead mains cables
I'm used to seeing three-wire (three phases) overhead mains wiring from poles along a street. Sometimes you get four-wire (three phases plus neutral). Modern wiring is a single larger cable which is...
90
90

OT Wood burning staistics, lies, damned lies or truth?
Apologies for the place holder whilst I go away and do other things, this is so I don't forget (which is regrettably common these days). A while back the Extreme Green Arm of the Guardian had a go at...
12
12

How &$%^£*&! hard can it be to securely destroy a hard disc????
Whenever I wish to sell on of a hard disc, I *always* do a secure overwrite using a variety of software tools, such as DBAN (Darik's Boot 'n' Nuke)and it gets securely erased to DoD standards........
52
52

Is it just me?
The BBC leads its news with "Prince Philip: Duke's four children to walk alongside coffin at funeral". I honestly don't care whether they walk or they all ride unicycles and juggle. Who can possibly...
4
4

Toughened glass thickness opinion.....
I've screened off an outside area with a timber frame, balustrade clamps and 5mm toughened glass. The stuff that shatters into cubes. The panels are roughly 1600x350mm. I had the glass already...
12
12

Spray Foam Insulation - You & Yours Radio 4
Spray Foam Insulation, Chrysanthemums, Sleep Apps You and Yours You & Yours investigates why spray foam insulation could make it difficult for you to get a mortgage. A number of lenders will not...
15
15

50mm fence posts and 40mm panels
Hi, Looking at replacing the manky fence panels soon, and during my searches I found the common size fence panel is 40mm deep. My concrete posts have a 50mm recess. Surely this will lead to rattling...
10
10

Table saw dust extraction
I think about improving DE from time to time (whenever I'm cleaning-up after a messy job) but don't seem to find the necessary tuit. My saw has a small hose from the crown guard (hinged on the riving...
12
12

access port for 'Easy Start'
Some 2 stroke and even 4 stroke garden machinery engines are a pig to start. A blast of 'Easy Start' is the simple cure but it involve remoting the air filter or the spark plug. A removable cap to...
10
10

OT: Which end of a carrot is the "tail"?
My wife asked me to peel and top/tail some carrots. Since they were very small, she decided she only wanted me to chop off "the tails". Which end does "the team" think is the head and which the tail?...
10
10

Once upon a BNC ...
There was a time obtaining a solder type BNC connector was easy. The kit of about 9 individual bits assembled with a solder iron and a spanner, the choice of using 50ohm or 75ohm, different types to...
29
29