Subject Author Posted Replies

OT opening an Excel document stored on Google Drive
A friend of mine works from home since last March and they use Google Drive to store stuff and Google Sheets for spreadsheets. Problem is some stuff needs to be in Excel as some "customers" can't use...
19
19

PC Power supply
The power supply in my home build low profile HTPC has become very noisy. It is a Zalman ZM500-GT 500W and very good until recently. I want to replace it with a low noise job but do not want to spend...
17
17

OT - Smart meters and EDF Energy
Tuesday. I was called from a Manchester number by the usual Asian phone jockey. To my surprise it was a genuine call. My Smart meter had stopped sending data (allegedly) and an engineer needed to call...
20
20

Everest Windows
My wife bought a bungalow a few years. The previous owners had installed Everest double glazed windows. We could not visit the property because of Covid restrictions but there is a camera in the...
13
13

Amazon
I guessed at Jeff Bezos' email address and fired off a complaint. Lo! And Behold! It got a response from a senior exec and the replacement is promised for tomorrow, although I'm not holding my breath...
1
1

NHS app and vaccination passport.
Heard on the news they're likely to use the NHS track and trace app as a vaccine passport. My phone is a Galaxy S4. Works just fine as a phone and camera and the things I want a phone for. But too old...
131
131

Nice electrics - shame about the rest...
<>Sadly noted that my first reaction was "the electrics look better than expected". Oh, well. Cheers Dave R Ipswich landlord Martyn Williams has been fined more than £11,000 after his property in...
1
1

Finger twitching nervousness
This W10 new desktop facility is really getting on my tits, almost more so than the Amazon fiasco (qv). I almost don't dare to touch the mouse pad lest the display all disappears up into the top left...
43
43

So much for freedom from EU regulations
self drive cars to be limited to 37mph? No. Its 60km/h. So much for doing things differently
8
8

Wickes timber ordering
One of the few local suppliers which seems to have some timber I want has been Wickes. I assembled my order - three different products - and tried to book delivery and pay. I got a message saying no...
6
6

Bloody Amazon!
Been waiting in all day for a parcel delivery, and then receive an email saying not only has it been delivered, but that is was handed to me personally, BUT NOTHING HAS ARRIVED AT ALL. Obviously now...
41
41

Cooked something with gas whilst boiler was off - Need to purge pipes before using cooker?
Whilst the boiler was off, I cooked some eggs using the remaining gas in the pipes. Right now I am the only one home so I'm not worried about anyone using the cooker to blow everyone up. I have purged...
6
6

Dimming an LED
Think it's generally known that dimming a tungsten bulb reduced its efficiency dramatically. In other words, a 100w dimmed to half brightness used a lot more electricity than a 50w on full. Although...
33
33

regarding charging: follow-up
Following the suggestion here that the charging voltage for Circuit C was too high ("C: 14.6V, +0.01A") I checked with an accurate meter. The voltage was 13.86V. That accords with the very low...
9
9

OT - let's bring it home
Football as we used to know it was a local community matter. Let's bring it back home! Bring in a law which enforces professional football clubs to have at least 51% fan ownership similar to how the...
10
10