Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Un-hackable GPS replacement
I think a few people here will find this interesting, it astonished me: GPS is a world-changing technology. It’s also incredibly fragile. That’s why the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps are...
3
3

Old Interior Doors
Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house. OF course, these have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often cracked. Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like. If I...
20
20

Samsung laser cartridge, ghosting
Just trying to understand this as I have a new cartridge which I can install if necessary. When I print I intermittently get faded black marks on the page, they are regular markings so obviously...
13
13

Thermostat hysteresis
We used to have an old bimetallic Honeywell thermostat but it always seemed wildly inaccurate and slow to switch on or off. I thought my problems would be solved by going digital with one of these....
15
15

Insulation in cavity or inside the room?
I'm planning a small extension, walls to be brick on the outside, then a cavity, then blocks The blocks hold the roof beams up, the bricks are to look nice and stop rain. I see videos of people...
10
10

1.5V AA rechargeable lithium
I've been buying cheapo AA from Amazon - the type that cost about 20p each when you get 50 or so in a pack. I'm using them for the sensors on the garage doors that they have to prevent them closing if...
68
68

Ebay
Anyone had dealings with the new Ebay payments? Before, if I sold anything, I'd get an email from Ebay saying it was sold. And a confirmation from Paypal that it had been paid for. Pretty well...
21
21

Ultrasonic cleaners
I recently bought one very similar to this (link goes to eBay) and it appears to be very easy to operate being as there are only two parameters to set, time and temperature. However, they don't give...
9
9

OT: Wind anxiety
There's a recognised phobia of wind, I don't think i'm at that level, i'm not curled up in the foetal position but I am in my office in the loft at work and the gusts are making me tense up. Didn't...
34
34

Why are revlimiters uneven?
Never saw the original post. There is a holding current in a triac, and once the current drops below this a kind of Hysteresis occurs so you need to turn it up to get it conducting again. Brian
24
24

Home automation: blind motors ...
Starting to look to replace some curtains with vertical blinds to make it easier for SWMBO to operate them and eventually automate them with Alexa. However, I am starting to suspect that all the kit...
6
6

OT - Troubleshooting internet issues
Hi All, I have been having sporadic issues with my internet. A couple of times a day, when we are streaming on demand TV, it will pause and the buffering circle appears. After a minute or so it will...
17
17

Can I replace Immersion Heater Switch?
I've got an ancient, maybe 40 or 50 years old, switch for the immersion heater in my airing cupboard. It's a thin-ish one, mounted on the wooden door frame. Increasingly, it gets hot in use and has...
42
42

chainsaw
Yesterday I went to my daughter's with a load of wood. I was rewarded with a very nice cottage pie (large portion), then, since it wasn't raining Matt and I decided to do the right thing and cut the...
107
107

Delivery attempted
Had a message from Amazon to say delivery attempted yesterday, (Sunday) by Royal mail. It's only a strip of adhesive pads, easily would go through the letterbox.....I didn't think Royal Mail delivered...
23
23