Subject Author Posted Replies

Wanted, a latch for a gate that lets it swing both ways
I'm looking for a gate latch that will allow a gate to swing both ways, there are some more constraints/parameters as well:- It's a fairly light gate, into our chicken run It needs to be easy to...
41
41

Insulation and vapour barriers
I am about to start dividing off my extended garage to create a man cave. This involves a studded dividing wall which along with the other three outer walls need insulating. Incidentally the garage is...
6
6

OT: Car number plate details
Against my better judgement I sold something online to someone who turns up to be a very unsavoury person. I had had a bad feeling when we communicated online so arranged to meet him in a supermarket...
26
26

what are they up to?
Ordered soemthing cheap (<£3) off ebay. Wrong item sent, so I used the ebay system to return it. Printed paid for address label and handed it in at local post office. I get an email to say it's been...
10
10

Trying to hang upper cabinets in 100+ yr old brick wall.
I mounted my kitchen cabinets into 100+ yr old brick using a masonry bit, and wall anchors. I also used canned air to blow out all the dust from the hole and then dampened the inside of the hole, then...
22
22

240VAC motors
Hi all, So I have this bench grinder (one of the ones with two wheels of differing coarseness on either end of a spindle, the motor being in the middle). Anyway, it packed up one day. Wouldn't spin by...
20
20

Repairing a tile
A question for the experts: We have a tile on the close wall that has been damaged over the years by the hook for the door colliding with it. This has now worn away the glaze into a channel. I...
5
5

A palm router.
I obhtug one o' them there Katsu routers. Anyone else got one, and experience to relate? This with 1/4" and 3/8" collets, intended use in conjunction with Mighton's TCT 2mm slot cutter for applying...
9
9

Supermarket chiller packs that don't freeze
Amazon/Morrison's deliver frozen food with ice packs containing some fluid which doesn't stay frozen in my freezer. What liquid are they using and do ice packs have any use once the frozen food has...
20
20

Accurate measurement of internal dimensions - telescopic measuring rod?
I have a gap into which I want to insert a cut piece of wood. [More detail available if necessary.] The gap is around 345 mm but there is a slight recess so I can't eyeball a tape with the exact...
13
13

There's lucky
Last time I used the car, as I parked up in my garage back home, one of the lenses of my driving glasses fell out, just as I removed them. The clamp screw had udone itself, releasing the lens. In a...
29
29

Rafter ties (PITA)
Hi, I think I already know the answer to this question (when I finally get onto it) but just looking for more info. We recently lost my Dear mum and I wanted to do something for my Dad to help him out...
1
1

Spain's New Variable Price Electricity
Spain is not often noted for leading the way but their new pricing for electricity, which has three price periods per 24 hrs, and includes weekends, seems better than the UK's E7 system. This along...
43
43

[OT] UKLM: Subject: NHS data grab just around the corner
The group might like to be aware of this forthcoming data-mining exercise, whereby your data will be extracted from your GP record unless you opt out by the cut-off date. The entire thread, and the...
23
23

OT Triffids and cholesterol levels
Considering all the bollocks that is sometimes posted here. Now if the Triffid had to make a choice......
6
6