Subject Author Posted Replies

Ripples in vinyl runner
My wife bought 5m of heavy duty (advertised as such anyway) vinyl runner from Ebay and it has lots of ripples. Tried walking on it several times and it is a bit flatter but I don't think it is ever...
11
11

Dripping tap
The quarter-turn Bristan ceramic insert hot-water tap in the bathroom basin has had a slight drip for ages. One odd thing is that the tap lever has a bit of play in it so that it can be moved slightly...
11
11

OT: Room to Improve
Channel 5 is currently showing various episodes of this Irish programme: <>It is interesting to observe the dynamics of the relationship between architect, client and builder. Much of the time there...
12
12

OT: Thunderbird anomaly
When I open Thunderbird in Ubuntu, it appears there are two windows running (as if mid message, so as I type this it appears three are open). When I close it, the icon is still there as if it is...
6
6

concrete slab laying
Is hard core or crusher run absolutely necessary under a concrete slab? Ground is firm clay . Slab is for storing light machinery, ride on mowers etc.
11
11

Indesit washer dryer steam condenser problem
Does anyone have experience of checking or changing a washer drier Steam Condenser. This is the part. The model number is normally found inside the door, below or above the door seal. Quite often the...

DeWalt DW988
I have a DW988 drill ... this has a collar that you rotate to select hammer mode. Recently on occasions it will not rotate into hammer position, other times it does happily. Once in position it works...
8
8

OT: Eng - er - Land
I reckon England will lose by one or two to nil. I'd love to be proved wrong, but just can't see it. What are YOUR predictions for the Big Match?
20
20

What would you do with?
Four 6 metre long strips of spring steel from a pop-up tent frame? I was disposing of a burnt out tent from our local beach and it?s the type of self-erecting tent that uses a springy frame made of...
11
11

Squirrel deterrent
Can anyone recommend an electronic deterrent? TIA
10
10

OT: Why do people use double negatives and add confusion?
For example to warn someone that a supply may run out, instead of saying "the supply is not limitless", why not say "the supply is limited"? I have to manually cross off two negatives to know what...
30
30

18" garden wall with 8-course foundations.
... is what the lads fixing our fence have discovered. They're putting in concrete posts and the bricks go down at least 2 feet. They weren't expecting that. Is that 1960s over-engineering, or...
15
15

Fitting uPVC window in existing timber frame
Hello, I've a wooden frame & window which I want to be replaced with uPVC window. My fitter suggested to keep wooden frame as removing it will require masonry work and I'll have to paint again. I...
6
6

Routing T&E through brick.
So, if I were to route some T&E cable through an internal brick/clinker wall, does it need to run in any protective conduit? The hole will not be filled afterward. Ta.
4
4

Can a "Rawlplug" that is suitable for concrete be used for brick?
We've bought a retractable hosepipe on a reel. It comes with bolts and Rawplug-type dowels which are described as being suitable for concrete walls. "Other types of wall may require different...
17
17