Subject Author Posted Replies

advice on 'repairing' deep scratch on car bonnet
Hi all my old motor got fairly badly keyed a few years ago. The scratch went down at least to the undercoat. I have been pretty lazy about doing anything to improve the scratch, cosmetically or...
6
6

Coal bin question
I have a large victorian home, there is a coal bin and trap door outside where coal was delivered. I'm trying to figure out how much coal the bin held. There are 8 fireplaces, I'm sure it was quite a...
1
1

Blown Capacitor
Our Singer sewing machine, built in Italy about 40 years ago, has blown the capacitor across the mains input leads. From what I can see, it's a "0.022 µF @X, 250 V MP, ?? MHz, GPF 40/8(?)8(?)5/56,...
26
26

Linear Halogen Spot problem
My back garden light has failed. I'm in a bungalow and it is just under the apex but if I stand on a board on top of the porch I can lean over a bit and reach it. After a bit of a fight I got the...
5
5

OT: email ports
I am having problems sending emails but they are received okay. I have tried to contact the ISP for guidance but they are having a bad day technologically. I see my incoming port is 110 and outgoing...
26
26

Looking for VGA gender changer
Male/male or female/female not as important as whether or not it *also* turns the cable upside down. Which every one I've found so far does. Yes, I know that makes it more complicated to manufacture,...
45
45

OT: If the police don't know who was speeding
In the UK, if John lends his car to Barry, and Barry breaks the speed limit (fixed camera, not a policeman), John gets the ticket as it's his car reg, and says Barry was driving, but Barry denies it,...
40
40

RCBO or RCD type A or B Curve? diy-wiki update?
RCD or RCBO type A or B ? Looking in the ukdiy wiki i found no info on RCBO types want to improve my split consumer units to put fridge and computer, outdoors etc on their own RCBOs. I Currently have...
1
1

Filler advice needed
I now live in a bungalow that has had its 1960 ceiling lights pulled out and replaced by GU10 LED fittngs. I need to fill the holes (around 2cm in diameter) and to fill fine cracks in the ceilings...
16
16

Auction this afternoon 2pm
Includes loads of vinyl, and two pairs of Qua Electrostatic Loudspeakers. Register to bid. Established in 1857 the estate agency and rural professional business are based in Diss and Wymondham and the...
6
6

Facebook selling and timewasters
I'm been selling a couple of drums of white FP 200 1.5 2c+E on Facebook, almost full drums just a yard or so used and at well below trade £30 each, collection only. I made all of this absolutely...
14
14

Anyone tried Fischer Duopower plugs?
look clever and the reviews seem to be very positive DUOPOWER - fischer fixings DUOPOWER - fischer fixings
5
5

Clifton Bathrooms?
Anyone in the Nottingham/Sheffield are have any experience of Clifton Bathrooms, good or bad? Cheers Dave R

OT: We're doomed!
National Grid to lose it's role in managing electricity supplies for mainland Britain. green policies on the way, more blackouts, higher prices! Stock up with candles and get your portable generators...
12
12

Rusty cans of paint
I have lots of rusty cans of half full of paint. Some of the paint must match rooms already painted and be useful for patching. But if I open them will I get dirt in and dry them out further? So how...
7
7