Subject Author Posted Replies

Keyboard recommendations wanted
I have a very basic keyboard ATM, but the symbols on the keys are beginning to wear off. I'm only a one-finger typist, so don't need anything special, but ISTR that you could get keyboards with...
17
17

3 Ways Government Regulation Is Creating a Hospital Bed Shortage
3 Ways Government Regulation Is Creating a Hospital Bed Shortage by Hannah Cox, 8/31/21, Foundation For Economic Education Hospital beds are again filling up across the country as America copes with...

Annoying Microsoft message
Every few days on power up I get a blue screen with a list of options, and message from Microsoft saying "It's time to finish setting up your computer". None of the options are of any interest to me...
9
9

Electric car
The missus is getting green and now wants one of those poofter electric cars. What are the arguments against it? Don't the batteries pack up after a few years?
51
51

Pointing
Any advice on the best (or least bad) position for doing it on a roof? I'm pointing at least some of the parapet walls on the main roof ('cos it turns out the roofers who did them 12 years ago were...
4
4

Window Blinds
I'll be moving house soon, from a brick-built terrace to a granite block terrace. One major difference (apart from how quiet the stone place is) is the windows. In the stone house they're inset into...
4
4

What coating to protect a balcony/decking?
Hi, I have a wooden balcony that has been painted with a proprietory seal/varnish type stuff. The problem is that it takes a beating from the sun and cracks appear. Rainwater gets in the cracks and...
1
1

Older styles of lighting - keep for the future or just bin?
Yet again it is clear out time for the large (but somehow full) shed. I will no doubt find my stock of incandescent bulbs which will go to the tip. Likewise probably CFL which will never be used again...
4
4

LED panel lights for workshop/storage outbuilding.
Any recommendations? I've been looking at the square 595/600mm types. Floor area just short of 30 sq m, 5m wide, 6m long. Ceiling slopes at each side, flat bit in middle (trusses look like a capital...
8
8

Positioning of kitchen downlighters (2024 Update)
As part of the new kitchen to be done this autumn I'm having the ceiling redone imminently and we want to fit downlighters (presumably LED GU10s unless anyone has better suggestions) to replace the...
16
16

Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA tests
After the prostate and other bits have been removed the PSA should fall to a very low figure. It could be a hundredth of the figure that some labs can detect. So every three months for years the...
5
5

OT: homemade DVD lifetime
Here I'm referring to DVDs written using such as a DVD drive on one's computer with such as home movie material. I'm not referring to commercial DVDs. Question is, do such DVDs have a limited...
8
8

Deep, dark crud encrusted oven.
I'm on my travels ATM. To thank my current host for their hospitality I volunteered to clean the electric oven. Never have I seen such a heavily encrusted object. It's like something excavated from...
12
12

E10 fuel
Recently on this group there was a discussion about E10 fuel and chainsaw petrol lawn mowers etc. Shouty man on Youtube has produced some observations on E85, E10 and non-ethonol petrol with and...
34
34

Roof tile shortage? Reclaimed tiles.
One longer term project is to take down the old garage. It has a pitched roof with traditional clay tiles. A passing thought - if there is a shortage of tiles is there a market for used tiles? I could...
7
7