Subject Author Posted Replies

Trapped in an underground car park
The roller shutter doors had a bit of a malfunction what tool did I use to get the van out the car park? And the maintainance bloke for the site asked "Can you bent the metal back and reattach the...
24
24

Panasonic bread maker
I have a ten year old Panasonic bread maker. It's still working fine, except that the non-stick coating on the bread pan is a bit worn. A replacement bread pan costs £55, which is a lot to spend on...
42
42

RCD trip scenario.
I mentioned that I had had an RCD tripping issue, and today decided to probe into it more. I had isolated a kitchen cooker circuit and left it off at the consumer unit - I use the Aga to cook mostly -...
16
16

OT: credit transfers to E.on
Latest message today The latest info. We've been beavering away to agree some final information with Enstroga, and when this is completed we can transfer any credit you had and update your account...
16
16

electric cable size?
I need to make a 2 metre 3 core extension cable for very occasional use with a drill,sander. What is the descriptive term for the cable size as in mm²
18
18

Edging for melamine coated chipboard
It is many years since I built furniture (Contiboard). The edging in this days was pretty poor. I have no experience of what's on offer these days. I really would like advice on what to avoid. TIA
15
15

Loft aerial masthead amplifier
Please can anyone help with a loss of signal to my daughters TVs? I'm not at her house but she's sent me pics of the kit. In the loft is a downlead into a SAC AE5035 which has 3 outputs to two bedroom...
9
9

=?UTF-8?B?SW1wZXJpYWwgYnJpY2tzIMKjMS4yMCA/?
make sure your brickie can handle them....some are woosies these days ...
3
3

Talking of eyes.
I have a blue LED digital clock. Gives internal and outside temperature too. Situated close to the TV. Look at it with one eye, and the digits appear larger and a less saturated blue than with the...
91
91

Is it safe to use a QLED TV as a monitor ?
I always thought not, but Richer Sounds emailed me with an offer for the Samsung 32 QLED 'frame', with this comment in the description - "Sit back and imagine a beautiful TV that allows you to display...
11
11

Manhole covers lifting with excess rainfall
Would anyone have any input on what "pressure" of rainfall in a combined sewer system is required to lift a steel manhole cover in road surface. Yesterday about 3 inches of water jetting thru a vent...
9
9

Fixing a broken Anglepoise
As an alternative to the frequent complaints here, here's a note of recent excellent service: I've had an Anglepoise lamp on my desk for many years. A week ago when I grabbed it a bit roughly, a...
28
28

Varifocal lenses
Is there a limit to the size, top to bottom, of varifocal lenses. What is the max size available ?
37
37

Dimming LEDs (in bulbs that are designed to be dimmed) - why the minimum brightness?
I've noticed that various LEDs which are designed to be dimmed have a minimum brightness - if you dim them from bright, they go gradually dimmer and then turn off while still partly lit; if you...
10
10

Working PSU for Philips Hue "Lightstrip" gives open-circuit (even at 200 M ohm range)
I'm curious. We found a Philips Hue "Lightstrip" that was not working, and it turned out to be a duff 240 V AC to 24 V DC PSU. When I measured the resistance across the mains input pins, it gave "open...
12
12