Subject Author Posted Replies

For the man who buys Russ Andrews Hifi components
  https://www.newandlingwood.com/gold-leaves-lined-dressing-gown... https://www.newandlingwood.com/gold-leaves-lined-dressing-gown... https://www.newandlingwood.com/gold-leaves-lined-dressing-gown......
22
22

Running gutter downpipe horizontally over a felt flat roof.
as above. I need to divert a gutter downpipe over about 5m of a felt flat roof into a different drain. My best guess would be to have downpipe clips fixed to ply pads that just sit on the felt roof....
13
13

[OT] Amazon and Fire Tablet
I had just ordered a mains lead for our TV. The packers (or me) had packec it separately from the TV 9 months ago. The TV went up on the bracket yesterday. After crawling around our loft looking in...
14
14

Well OT - DIY chips (as in potatoes cut up into chunks and fried)
Occasionally I weaken and have some fried potatoes (commonly known as chips in the UK). I have been buying frozen chips, but usually they have extra stuff on them so that they also work as oven chips....
39
39

Exploding turbines (was : Building bookshelves etc)
Links here to photos and diagrams of what happens when TA sets fail. The Hinkley Point A one in 1969 was 87MW. Indeed. Marine diesels (also much used with emergency generators) are typically around 1...

OT: UPS delivery
I had a package being delivered by UPS, and their tracking site said that it was due between 11:00 and 15:00 Tuesday. Today, Monday, I spent some time doing chores, including working in the garden....
22
22

Central Heating Mystery
We had a new Ideal Logic Heat 18 Boiler installed some weeks ago. (To replace a Bosh Greenstar 18 ). After installation of this new Ideal it caused the pump upstairs in the water cylinder cupboard to...
12
12

Seal for vinyl tiles
Can anyone recommend a suitable seal to paint on top of some vinyl tiles, please?
5
5

Sealing a damp Floor
An acquaintance has asked me about a problem with their conservatory floor. It seems to get damp in wet weather, I suspect the membrane has failed. The floor seems to be some kind of stone tiles. They...
9
9

Brick Matching for planners
Brick sizes: Approved Plans said "Proposed wall to be faced with brick to match existing" Existing bricks are hundred year old imperial sizes, Can I use modern metric bricks of a similar colour and...
15
15

About All Those Pandemic Billionaires
About All Those Pandemic Billionaires By The Editorial Board, 12/8/21, Wall St. Journal Christmas came early this year for economic progressives with the publication Tuesday of a fat report on global...

'Doctors' today
?Doctors? today (It?s a BBC woke propaganda vehicle that I sometimes watch for laughs. It?s supposed to be about a GP practice but it could be about any place or situation because it has no connection...
64
64

Paint recommendations for metal gates and gate posts?
The gates and gate posts need re-furbishing so I've removed the gates and dug-out the posts (from rather a lot of concrete), cut-off the old hinges and welded-on some new hinge pins to the posts....
3
3

OT: decaf coffee shortage - is it because of the CO2 shortage?
I usually like to have decaffinated coffee when I take it in the evening, otherwise the caffeine can make it harder to get to sleep. In recent weeks none of the supermarkets seem to have any decaf of...
26
26

TOT energy from wind.
The boss of Octopus was on the radio this morning. Much of our energy needs are going to be solved by building yet more wind turbines. When it was pointed out that sometimes the wind doesn't blow his...
9
9