Subject Author Posted Replies

Follow up to my stuck brass compression fittings
Had to take time out due to medical problems but better now so back on the job (stop tittering at the back!). Applied my heat gun to the stubborn fittings and they came appart very easily, so job...

Descaling - Citric acid v White vinegar
A couple of appliances state to descale with white vinegar. Tried to google for sensible answers but nothing very clear. Why white vinegar instead of citric acid? Why white vinegar instead of any...
31
31

Would have been a Maplin purchase
I need to build a controller up in a plastic project box ... Idea will be 2 x single AC mains sockets, and above each one a temperature control module In previous days it would have been a quick trip...
17
17

Fitting out a campervan
I've fancied a campervan for some years and this seems like a good time to make the move. But because many are thinking the same the prices are a bit daft. From just under 20k for something worn and...
76
76

Cutting Wirework
By wirework I mean the metal shelves /drawers /etc typically used in pull-out larder and the like. I have a need to reduce the height of a pull out unit so need to cut the chrome plated rods from...
6
6

Temperature Control Module
I use 2 x heat mats for growing (inside use only) These are 220V 21W so not a huge amount of power. I know there are 'cheap' temperature control modules, anybody used any of these - looking for...
3
3

I mean we have all felt like doing it...
<> A MOTHER threw her child into a bear cage at a zoo in front of horrified visitors.
2
2

Reviving scuffed DVDs
Gentlemen, Does anyone know if T-Cut is fine enough to restore scuffed up optical media such as CDs and DVDs? I've got a data disk that I can't *quite* get readable. I've polished out the scuffs...
14
14

Repairing silkscreen printing
I have a small panel on the old car where the printing beneath the buttons has worn off. Panel is steel, painted black, with white lettering - I assume silk screen printed. Is there a modern way of...
22
22

Daft thought for today - hot tap outdoors
As a side issue of my caravan washing saga I am thinking of using hot soapy water to shift the gripe off the roof. Which in turn requires tramping in and out of the house to refill the bucket when I'm...
9
9

Room Thermostat
I would like a room thermostat that allows me to set one temperature for one period and another for a second period so I can set daytime and nighttime temperatures. Is there something like this...
13
13

Burying BT dropwire or CW1128 cable
I need to run a signal cable to a gate, the run is about 30m underground and 30m hung on a stock fence. Armoured signal cable is very expensive so I'm tempted to use either exterior phone cable or...
30
30

Curved shower issue
I have a curved stand up shower that is missing rollers on the doors. I have tried replacing them but not sure if they were incorrect or wrongly fitted. Any suggestions where to get professional help...

Self Amalgamating Tape query
Hi All, I have recently used SAT to insulate and waterproof some joints in 1.0mm 2 core cable. I used chock block for the joins (staggered) though with hindsight, I think twist and SAT would have been...
4
4

Punching holes in stainless steel tape
I bought some high temperature adhesive stainless steel tape (3316) to stick over the surface and around one edge of a gasket. It's the burner gasket in a Keston boiler, which always cracks, and it's...
10
10