Subject Author Posted Replies

Repair broken clay pipe
I've noticed a missing piece in the clay pipe at the inspection chamber. Whilst it's not the biggest piece broken, I don't believe I want my waste water making the clay under my house any wetter. Any...
3
3

Registry cleaners
Can anyone recommend a good free registry cleaner for Windows XP ?
31
31

Webb Mower again Air Filter
Regular readers will perhaps remember that we have got an old Webb mower going that he found in the shed of his house. The Briggs and Stratton 5 HP engine has a foam insert in its air filter. The...
3
3

Glazing bars, shallow sloping roof
We are designing a verandah with a glass roof. Our local glass supplier has a preferred supplier of glazing bars but this type are designed for a mimimum slope of 15 degrees. Our roof will have a...
1
1

Outside electrics - WD40 to stop water ingress?
Hi, We have some 240v tree lights outside - a few heavy duty sets which are des= igned to stay out there all year. From time to time they get dim, and the p= roblem is caused by small amounts of...
16
16

Putty and reglazing
I glazed a window a few years ago - timber casement window, single-glazed); however the putty along the bottom rail cracked after not too long and fell out. I'm about to have another crack at it;...
7
7

Wireless Keyboard Q
Not very D-I-Y ... but there are some knowledgeable people here. I recently bought a Samsung Smart TV - 46ES6800 ......... having struggled using remote to drive for example Web interface, realise I...
25
25

Floor plans for Planning Permission
Having taken on a house in a conservation area, anything visible from the road requires planning permission (and the local Stasi would be on anyone who didn't like a ton of bricks given a chance)....
12
12

sprinklers in kitchen
Has anyone ever thought about installing a sprinkler in the kitchen, (I am assuming this is the highest fire risk room)? Would it be difficult / expensive? What sort of work would be involved?
20
20

'Hand made' planes - on another level
Following on from the thread about casting of Lie Nielsen planes in the USA this is a UK manufactured one. - 7k ! http://www.holteyplanes.com/index.html2.5k
7
7

Graphics card
The graphics card in my desktop has died - it's a Nvidia Geforce 8500GT. Device manager reports it has a problem - and the ASUS start-up screen is pixellated, so I doubt it's a software thing. But...
9
9

What spanner for inaccessible nut
I need to tighten the cold water connection to a Vaillant EcoTec combination boiler. Unfortunately there are a series of connections in close proximity so my normal adjustable pliers won't fit....
2
2

OT:Suggestion for google (rant)
can you introduce a checkbox "ignore content from fuckwits" ? I'm trying to get Mrs Android phone to speak SMS messages[1] like (embarrassingly) my Windows phone does. Sadly googling for "Android TTS...
17
17

Electric Blind Motor
A motor on my electric blind ( Sumfy LV25 B-44 ) has stoped working does any one know where i can get a new one . A google search has not been very helpful . Chris
3
3

Filling/Smoothing Between Paint Coats
Hi all Having applied the first coat of paint to the kichen walls, a number of minor(ish) issues have been highlighted. These are mainly indentations in filled chases and the like. The paint used is...
3
3