Subject Author Posted Replies

Combi replacing old open vent system - should existing CH pipework be replaced?
About to have 30 years old open vent system replaced with Vaillant combi. One of the heating company bods providing quotes has indicated that the existing CH pipework (half buried in floor slab, other...
7
7

Accenta 8 alarm help
We had a short power cut today and the when the power came back up the alarm went off and could not be controlled, so I've taken out the fuse. I understand that the fault lies with the back-up battery...
14
14

What kind of switch for inline extractor fan?
In message , donnywong writes Actually, I had a humidistat controlling the fan in our old bathroom, and it worked pretty well. Very occasionally, when it had rained heavily and for long enough it...
9
9

Whose responsibility is safety of incoming electric main?
The underground incoming electric main to our place rises to our property in a brick built shed at the corner of a local lane. The meter is also within said shed, which is at least 50 years old. Time...
7
7

Kloeber / Jeld-wen bifold doors
Anyone got either of these, and anything to say about them - either wood or alu? Or any other suggestions....
5
5

MultiMeter choice
My (now old) Avo Digital Multimeter has died on me ... Need to find a replacement ... first choice would be a Fluke 77, but these are too expensive new ... and also >£100 on ebay for well worn...
61
61

Cutout temperature of a front-mounting tumble Dryer thermostat?
Hi All further to my posting on wall mounting a Tumble dryer... I have determined the problem with the original compact model - one of the thermostats had gone O/C. This is not one of the two...
1
1

flickery led bulbs
Hi Chaps I got a couple of these new dimmable gls led bulbs like this they work ok, but when at full brightness I can still see a flicker in the light output. they are in two fittings either side of...
4
4

Leaky rad (chromed towel one)
Noticed a small brown patch of liquid in the cloakroom yesterday, just underneath the inlet side of the towel radiator, which is one of those laddered chrome types). Further inspection reveals what I...
6
6

OT - auto defrost not working
Antarctic ice shelves not melting at all, new field data show • The Register

OT: Thunderbird Problems
I use Thunderbird for newsgroup access. It has message filtering that is easy to setup but seems to have one or two problems. If I set it up to filter one of the groups more persistent trolls and set...
22
22

Noo-cloo-arr.
Appologies if this is already common knowledge, and/or of no interest to mo= st, but I have heard that EDF are out of the UK nuclear scheme, along with = another firm (didn't quite catch who, sounded...
6
6

Curtains
We have heavy duty black out curtains in the master bedroom. Problem is that the sun is shinning through where the curtains end. I have tried bluetack etc to pin the curtains to the wall. This don't...
10
10

Back room
TFFT - wiring finally complete and all working. Knees screaming at me to stop, but I soon showed 'em. :) Makes a huge difference, getting rid of the extensions. 9 sockets in the room (one none-RCDd...
4
4

step in insulated flooring
The start date for the re-flooring exercise approaches. Those contributing may recall that there is a possible issue with obtaining sufficient depth below existing in a Victorian construction without...
1
1