Subject Author Posted Replies

Updating a property soon to be sold
I'll shortly have the task of helping an elderly relative sell his 1960s two-bedroom semi-detached bungalow. I'll be taking advice from local estate agents of course, but what's the current thinking...
36
36

Can one put a gas fire (eg a living flame one) on an internal wall?
One room in my house (well actually it's two rooms & a tiny bit of hall at the moment but the wall between them might get removed) is about 20' long and 9'6" wide. One end of it and an L-shaped part...
14
14

Anyone used Toolstation delivery recently?
Had to order from Toolstation's website today as the local branches were out of stock of the item I wanted. When I clicked on "tracking info", I saw the usually reliable DHL has been replaced by the...
5
5

How sweet. I have a new stalker/bunny boiler:-)
In the good old days I just used to get my brother to run them over. Now that he is married with 2.4 children he will not do that for me(-: Any ideas?
1
1

Recommend shower mixer bar for elderly lady?
I'm trying to find an easy-to-use thermostatic mixer bar for a shower for an elderly lady. It has to install with exposed pipework. Any recommendations, or are they all much-of-a-muchness? many thanks
2
2

Mower engine - issue found?
Hi all, Further to my earlier posts on my mower engine troubles.... I have now stripped the engine back down and removed the snapped head bolt. When I fired her up after the previous "fix", it gave...
30
30

RAID antkiller foam
Anyone know of UK stockists for the above product. Used it some years ago and it was wonderful - killed em dead and they never came back - until now! It was a foam that you applied all along internal...
3
3

My new neighbour
I think that that I should properly introduce my new next door neighbour to the newsgroup Well we just had a BBQ and a few beers. Thanks to owning a phone that can take videos I was just able to get...
9
9

Time for a Makita drill?
The 8391 18 volt NiCad combi kit with two batteries is featured in CPC today for £90 + vat (so actually the Screwfix offering at £99 including VAT is cheaper). I have an old (non hammer) Ryobi 14.4...
11
11

OT The Olympic Games
Is it only me who considers the Games to be a huge waste of money, another fuck up waiting to happen and that the money could have been better spent on the NHS? I live in the north and will not see a...
175
175

Bathroom shaver socket
Rather than install a standard large shaver socket in the tiled wall my idea is to put a single switched outlet inside a cupboard in zone 3 of the bathroom. I would connect my contactless shaver...
6
6

Electric hedge trimmer
Does anyone know if the Wickes Electric Hedge trimmer is OK or just cheap crap? We need a trimmer to do some smallish beech hedges and the occasional conifer. Don't want to spend much since they won't...
2
2

Grinding burr
Anyone know where they sell them? The usual suspects Screwfix, Toolstation, Selco have drawn a blank. They look like router bits, but with a little conical (usually) grindstone on the end.
13
13

Wickes real wood flooring
I've just started to lay some Wickes real oak tongue and groove flooring. This has 2 grooves cut on the back of the boards and uses thin metal clips to hold adjacent boards together. This is proving...
9
9

ramp for disability buggy.
I need to make a ramp so that a small disability machine get in and out of the house whilst carrying a person. The ground clearance of the machine is 40mm. The door threshold is 75mm above the...
27
27