Subject Author Posted Replies

HDMI Audio Extractor
We've downsized, still unpacking after a couple of months. Today, I wanted to connect the stereo system up. We have a corner unit TV stand thing, but I found that I can't quite fit in both the...
4
4

Boiling kettle
Rather than butt in on the electricity prices thread I wonder if anyone has checked the gas meter before and after boiling a known amount of water and compared that with doing the same with an...
19
19

Can a UK plug have round pins?
Looking at this travel charger, which seems like quite a neat form factor (20W, PD, QC claimed, USB-A and USB-C in quite a small gadget). I noticed that the "UK plug" seems to use the round L and N...
146
146

Solar PV to immersion diverters.
I am researching solar PV to immersion diverters. There seem to be several on the market but this one by Marlek looks like one of the easier ones to retrofit and seems to be fully stand-alone without...
9
9

How to test a Welltronics 24V 5A adapter
My Hazro IPS monitor (2008) doesn't always power up, and sometimes when it does the screen is red or blue. Recycling power usually fixes it though. I wonder if it is the power supply which is a...
1
1

What is this double ratchet too for
A friend was having a clear out and came across this unusual ratchet. The drive does not transfer along the bar. Video of the tool on my google drive Are the two parts unrelated, just from the same...
7
7

Wot's this car bit called?
HI all, What is the correct name for this car component? You often see them mounted on the bulkhead behind the brake master cylinder. They're kind of like a distribution point for brake fluid. They...
17
17

OT: good news (for some)
BBC Woman's Hour report that "a new survey says women are happier getting out their tool box than men these days"[1]. ISTM there must be opportunities there for those able to show them how to handle...
1
1

Prostate Cancer
Guys, get it checked! Something made me get my PSA checked annually from age 60 onwards. Each year it rose very slightly, then for two years it was rising faster. It just touched the threshold for...
84
84

Mini spot welder
Looking at getting one of those mini welders to attach tabs to batteries. Baffled by the choice out there. Any recommendations? Want to spend about £100 max, and no rush, so an import fine.
5
5

I declare ...
...the Tesco own brand home 30cm non stick aluminiuum teflon dishwasher safe frying pan is the best pan I have ever had......now got four
4
4

March is Prostate Cancer Awareness month
Most of the members here are going to be of an age where prostate health could be an issue. As someone who's gone through this mill, I thought it might be useful to explain it. Most importantly, it is...
27
27

HDMI funny.
In my home workshop I have a RISCOS computer and a PC sharing a monitor and keyboard etc via a DVI KVM switch. The DVI feed to the monitor goes through a DVI HDMI splitter to feed a second monitor -...
22
22

Fairy lights
We've fairy lights in the garden with their own little panels, in winter there isn't enough energy collected and the lights don't glow for very long. So I thought i'd replace them with a DIY setup, I...
12
12

WiFi passwords
I have a new phone and my collection of WiFi passwords was not transferred along with the phone swap. A various collection that took me three years to collect. Anyway to find them on my old phone?
10
10