Subject Author Posted Replies

Buying non-standard-sized windows & building regs.
I need to buy three non-standard sized (960mm x 1290mm) replacement windows for my house. Can anyone recommend a good-value supplier? I may opt for upvc or timber, depending on cost. I am also trying...
26
26

Meter tails
When I've fitted tails, I've sized them to match the main cutout, e.g. 25mm² for 100A cutout. Even when tails are split at a service connection block and load on one side can't get anywhere near...
3
3

Can I use wet-or-dry fine paper instead of a stone for honing chisels?
The DMT stones are incredibly expensive, so I thought, why not use a sheet of, say, 600 grit wet-or-dry - with soap and water - on a plate glass sheet? MM
5
5

Source of toroidal LV transformners?
One of these has gone and I cant seem to source another one..anyone know where to get a 50W LV (12v) mains transformer...
9
9

How long for concrete to cure?
Have now managed to finish the concrete base for the shed. Due to mixing by hand I done this over 2 days. (9x6 shed) How long should I leave (concrete to cure) before attempting to re assemble the...
7
7

Is there anyone other than me that is proud of this country?
Aussies are not doing very well:-)...
83
83

PING Nick Odell
Will Worksop change it's name to Bronze?
2
2

New electric hob - should it smoke? Or have I broken it?
I fitted a new Indesit electric hob (7kW, same as old one). I turned all 4 = hotplates up to max together to check that everything worked. There were no= pans on the hotplates. The stainless steel hob...
8
8

Ideas needed for glass shower cubicle over bath
I=92ve been asked to help to sort out someone=92s bathroom and shower arran= gements. They currently have a bath which has a shower on the wall at one s= ide, half way along.=20 They have a U shaped...
4
4

Basin tap instead of bath tap.
I don't know if anyone has tried this but will the use of a mono basin mixer with 10mm connections in place of a bath mixer with 12mm connections on a mains H&C system (combi) make any significant...
2
2

OT Aldi
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to Aldi tomorrow. She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc.... Is Aldi food shite or is it okay? Taa
73
73

Jungle-taming strimmers
If you mean this sort of thing then I can see why they're frowned on. If you need to tackle woody stems then a decent brush cutter with a disc is effective and a good deal safer. I find that a brush...
10
10

New lawn-mower
Seems that the Bosch electric mower has emitted a few too many sparks. I might be able to fix it, but just in case I can't I'm considering buying a petrol mower before I need to hire a combine...
13
13

Washing machine fault
Washing machine (Bosch Exxcel WFX2868, 7 years old) is tripping the RCD after a few minutes - some time after the motor starts up. Once it has tripped once, it will trip again immediately if you turn...
8
8

Reconnecting porch light - dead easy question
There's a block with four terminals. One is earth. One is the red live feed. One has two black wires. One has one black wire. The earth and the live feed are obvious. I assume that I ignore the black...
6
6