Subject Author Posted Replies

fitting modern lights in place of loop in roses
So what's the correct approach? Taped up Terminal block poked up into void with feeds to fitting's terminals, Choc box into void & similar? All will work what's the official line(s)? Cheers Jim K
23
23

New UPVC door bowing - update
I earlier mentioned we had had a new rear door fitted, along with all of the windows and the fact that the door had a vertical bow at both sides, touching at top and bottom leaving a gap halfway down....
10
10

Water leak
I have at home several Giberit wall-hung WCs that have worked fine for several years. One of then, that has been used little, has developed a leak when the cistern is discharged. After removing the WC...
4
4

Provision for under kitchen cupboard lights
I am planning a kitchen extension and a new kitchen installation (not much DIY). The cost of having the kitchen unit supplier fitting and connecting the under cupboard and interior link lights is a...
2
2

Inspection camera
For which OS?
30
30

Removing a ?close-coupled? toilet
Hi all My mate wonders if uk.d-i-y can help: He needs to remove a (?)close coupled toilet in order to renew the floor and can't see a way to disassemble it. He says it's somewhat similar to this one:...
10
10

Electricity supply for boilers
Hi, I am looking at fitting (or having fitted) a new combi boiler. The new boi= ler would be installed into an airing cupboard in the bathroom (with suitab= le access space), to replace the existing...
82
82

Microwave Ovens
I am looking for suggestions really for a good reliable microwave oven. Not too expensive please. Maybe I am asking too much but my first microwave ( a Toshiba bought in 1985) lasted for nearly 20...
38
38

Shower Door or no door
I'm considering changing the shower arrangements in my bathroom. I currently have a shower cubicle in the corner of a wet room with doors suitable to accommodate a wheelchair , required by a previous...
2
2

Anyone in here in Aberdeenshire?
Having just moved up from southern England I'd like to make some new contacts, especially in the Ellon - Mintlaw area which I'm somewhat in the middle of. -- Dave Baker
9
9

securing copper pipes
Hi I had some mild steel brackets holding some copper pipes in place on a wooden joist, but a plumber told me that I should not use mild steel as it reacts with the copper, but I forgot to ask him...
22
22

Baxi condensing back boiler BBU - any gotchas?
We've been struggling on with the old Baxi gas back-boiler for far too long, largely because of the lack of convenient siting for a modern wall-hung boiler, along with need to completely re-arrangeme...
5
5

Polish on paint.
I have just rebuilt a wooden garden gate because it rottted at the bottom. It has had a coat of primer/undercoat and one of top quality gloss. I will do another coat of gloss. Is there any advantage...
16
16

Hygena Cooker Hood PCB
Hygena Cooker Hood Printed Circuit Boards =20 The other day someone asked me =91Why won=92t my cooker hood work?=92, appa= rently it just died without warning. I of course had to ask what brand of c=...
4
4

Strange hold in window
Hi all Woke up today to find this mysterious hole has appeared in my living room window: 't got a clue how it could have occurred but it looks like something has melted it's way through. Does anyone...
91
91