Subject Author Posted Replies

LED Downights (Not GU10)
Any experience of LED Downlight fittings? I am having my kitchen extended and the (Part P) electrician is suggesting 7watt LED Downlights such as these: some are available with a 7 year warranty. He...

Flooring change under doors?
Hi all, I'm trying to finish off Mums bathroom (CH modified and all working now) and am doing the unfinished half of the 6mm ply_over_floorboards ready for the vinyl. Question though, when brining and...
4
4

OT - TASER
How can TASERS pass 50,000 volts down very thin wires to the barbs without losing the electric charge due to it tracking across the thin wires that are not heavily insulated? Having had troubles with...
5
5

28mm vs 38mm worktop.
Can anyone tell me if there are any disadvantages to using 28mm worktop instead of 38mm, other than appearance? Does it get dangerously flimsy where it has been cut out around the sink? Thanks...
5
5

Power cuts.
Maybe it's time to make sure you have a few candles and some firewood/ coal in. Bring the barbeque into the living room.....?
12
12

Day rate for fitting a wood burner...
Had a quote to fit a new wood burner. £585 Includes fires boarding above the stove, metal plate and short flue pipe to mate with existing clay liner(with mortar), 2x 45degree bends, one with rodding...
7
7

Gigabit network cabling
I'm thinking of running a cable through the wall between two rooms to carry a gigabit connection between my router and NAS. Can I simply install two wall plates and connect them with an Ethernet patch...
25
25

LEDs again
I was impressed by the R50 LED bulbs I tried recently so I decided to order some more. I spotted some bulbs that use 21 SMD LEDs rated at 3.5 watts. The interesting feature with these us that SMDs...
6
6

Double-glazed conservatory glass shattered
We had a conservatory built around 2 years ago and have had absolutely no problems with it until the other morning when I saw that the inside (toughened) glass of one of the double-glazed roofing...
30
30

Slugs!
I have had a problem with slugs now for years, every time I go into our kitchen I find a slug. If I go into the kitchen late at night I will probably find a few. About 4 years ago I ripped the kitchen...
19
19

Reading the Electricity Meter
16 year old son got phone call at home asking for the electricity meter reading. He gave them the a reading on the high level meter meter by the front door but actually thought it was the gas meter....
12
12

3hr power cut thanks to some trees
Yes, some idiot phoned someone up to say that they could see some power cables arcing into the trees across the road from us. So, a contractor was sent to hack the trees. At ten to five in the...
101
101

How does this fit?
picturegram instructions suggest the pressed steel spanner like object in the photos can be fitted on the adjuster shaft as per TCV1, trouble is it doesn't fit. The 'spanner' has a rounded ends oblong...
17
17

Wiki: Door
If John doesn't mind using this.... NT Depends what you are trying to achieve. Cheap egg box doors will fill the gap and keep the draft out, but look pretty lame. Slightly posher egg box ones come in...
4
4

Another PC question
I have just installed a new system drive on my PC and am slowly getting everything up and running again and am looking for advice on TV software. I used to use Microsoft's media centre but never liked...
2
2