Subject Author Posted Replies

a moron's question: Do we really need a screed?
Screeds, what are they for? They provide: A nice and flat surface Impermeable (not that much) hard-wearing So? There are boards used for UFH (and similar products) which offer just t= hat...only, they...
7
7

LED and GU10 mixed on fitting
I have a spotlamp bar fitting with 4 GU10 lamps. I am cautiously wanting to try LED and wonder if it would be practical to repace one (at a time) GU10 with a LED. However, the fitting is on a...
3
3

painting windows
Hi All I am painting the insides of my 1930s casement windows and a lot of the putty is loose, I have raked it out and am unsure of what to fill the voids with. Putty is my preferred option as you can...
2
2

Half my TV channels have disappered - why?
Hi friends, During the last 48 hours, half of the TV channels we used to get have become unavailable, apparently due to a very weak (or non-existent) signal on those channels. We use a regular TV...
30
30

Grand Designs: Holland Park Underground
Dingy hole and I'm surprised at the transformation. Mined ewe, I half expected a tube train to pull in sometime.
20
20

Bosch nicks Dyson trade secrets
So can we now expect Bosch to start producing plasticky hoovers in nauseating colours? if the above link breaks, try "The employee, who is thought to be Chinese" - there's a surprise, given Chinese...
2
2

Problem with a light fitting
My elderly next door neighbour called me round earlier as her lights had gone off. A quick rummage in the cupboard showed that one of the trips had gone, so I turned it back on, and the lights came...
14
14

New Apprentice
Not once did I catch him using his mobile phone or just standing there with his hands in his pockets. And you can have a sensible conversation with him. His only mistake all day was not looking up...
4
4

Electrical Fires in the Home: casualities are on the increase
comments. IMHO I think this means "we want Electrical Condition Reports to be compulsory" and that this is the thin egde of the wedge.
8
8

OT: Kenwood chef gearbox "gasket"
Anyone replaced the grease a Kenwood chef? It looks like there is some sort of "gasket" compound where the two halves of the gearbox casing join - any idea where I can get some? Thanks, Paul DS.
7
7

easy way to generate an ac signal
For a class in school I want to generate an AC signal. The project is modelling a wind turbine. We will probably drive the input using a drill. I'm going to need about 10 models. I am only wanting to...
244
244

Simple programmable room thermostat: anyone got experience with Horstmann AS1?
The unheated house temperature is too low (e.g. at night). One solution is to replace the basic thermostat with a programmable one. It has to be simple to use. Somebody recommended the Horstmann AS1:...
13
13

Fresnel aspherical acoustic mirrors
Does anyone know of any firms that can design and manufacture small Fresnel acoustic mirrors with a specified (non-planar) surface shape ? My hope is for a new form of hearing aid for those with mild...
29
29

an extraordinary bit of bodging with wires and rubber flip flops
't work out if it's really dangerous or just a bit stupid. Tim w http://qph.cf.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-6056a5df58462ea4951a2b328243b7a2Can
32
32

Capacitive touch screen stylus
a bit clunky, and what I really need is a fine tip stylus to draw on my Samnsung Galaxy S3. I have a cheap stylus but the end is broad and spongy - good for tapping virtual keys but not for drawing...
12
12