Subject Author Posted Replies

OT - Soundproofing a rock tumbler...
I have been asked to investigate the possibility of significantly reducing the sound of a rock tumbler in operation. Bought (not by me) as a gift for a younger member of the family and is now using it...
14
14

Reviving a shower cubicle
My shower cubical was installed about 18 years ago, and is looking a bit grubby. It's got a decent sized rectangular tray made of something fairly solid with a glazed surface. It's in a corner of the...
1
1

OT: Microsoft Works files in Office 2007?
Sorry to be OT (again) but I posted this in microsoft.public.office.misc yesterday and had no replies yet, whereas this group is heavily populated with knowledgeable folks. A friend has some Microsoft...
15
15

External insulation
Some 1920/30s council houses near me are being externally clad in Kingspan and then rendered with something. The appearance is good but I am wondering how it will cope the a bit of rough treatment. I...
9
9

OT Skype adaptor for DECT phones
We have Skype subscriptions because we live partly in the UK and partly in Spain. In the UK we have 4 DECT phones running off one base unit. There are adaptors advertised to allow DECT phones to be...

OT: web design again, and an oddity
I've been bashing on with the redesign of my outdated website, learning at least the basics of CSS and trying to get rid of all (or most) of the bad habits I picked up first time round. Fascinating...
34
34

Insulating Ceiling - should I rip out what is already there
I've got a downstairs bedroom at the rear of the flat that I really struggle to heat up. I replaced the tiddly radiator but I still have trouble heating it up tin the winter. It's got two external...
13
13

Apex V Pent?
Pondering on the design, construction and of course cost of building a new shed at Handyman Towers 2. What are the pros & cons of apex against pent roof? A pent roof is easier to build and as long as...
9
9

Cement Rendering / Damp
Hello. I have a 1940s house, so even though it has cavity walls (I'm still learning about all this) can cement rendering cause dampness on internal walls? My kitchen and extension's external walls are...
34
34

OT - New PC
Who's good these days? I need a new server for the house - 2 SATA disks, 2TB each, reasonable processor, lots of RAM and quiet. Good and reliable is the order of the day. And can anyone recommend a...
93
93

Non-drip sealant gun wanted
I've not had much luck finding one - not sure if I'm using the wrong phrase? I guess they work by retracting the plunger a bit at the end of its travel?
7
7

back to the bathroom installation
Just spotted that getting an overflow pipe from the toilet to a visible outside wall is not readily doable:-( Any acceptable alternatives?
7
7

heating bleed
heating being used for a few weeks now , following being off for maybe 5 months whats best procedure to bleed effectively as most radioators ( 8 ) seem to have a cold patch should i turn off all...
13
13

kitchen under wall unit SELV lights - part P??
Unless fitting a "kit" of lights & tranny it appears Part P applies to SELV under wall cupboard lighting in a kitchen? If so, what are the rules & regs on how to do it "safely"? The only difference...
7
7

Cladding a concrete shed in OSB
At the end of the build we are going to have some sheets of OSB left over. Mainly those used for blocking up the space where the bifolds are going. Now I have a problem with damp seeping through the...
2
2