Subject Author Posted Replies

Lighting query
Asked by nephew to look at a 'faulty' bathroom light in his new house. New bulb put in, switched on, nothing. Checked bulb in another fitting, works fine. Checked with contactless voltage tester,...
12
12

non-maintained lamp failure
Hi, Some time ago, I took the advice of many here and installed an Eterna non-maintained 8w fluorescent lamp above my CU. It is under the stairs and there is no window, so it allows me to see to reset...
7
7

Tribune unvented direct cylinder
I have a Tribune cylinder that has sprung a leak. It's dimensions are Ht 1100mm and diameter 450mm, Vol 160litres. This doesn't seem to match any of the new cylinders for a replacement- Have they...
1
1

Nice bit of joinery..
perhaps a little frightening, but it is leftpondian. Liveleak.com -
14
14

"Coated with TiO2 for global warming"?
I bought some fascia to replace my old wooden stuff. It says on it "Coated with TiO2 for global warming". All I can find is this article: when my fascia expires, am I to crumble it up and throw it...
17
17

oil c/h & h/w: pump, timer, stats, etc. usually off same fuse?
Are all the electrics for an oil central heating and hot water system (pump, timer, stats, etc.) usually all off a dedicated mains fuse? Or all on the same fused spur from one of the rings? Or is it...
10
10

buying a thermostatic shower
Further to my shower room installation, I am at the point of purchasing a mixer shower. The Aqualisa unit in the main bathroom is pump fed from the cisterns so doesn't teach me much about selecting...
10
10

Shower pumps - any dos and donts?
I'm fitting a shower pump for my parents, done them before for customers who have bought the parts themselves, but never bought one myself. Single shower, so do I go for the single impeller to pump...
9
9

Grounding or Earthing
Rainy Sunday, checking emails, and I see a link to yet another article about Grounding. Not, as usually discussed here, making electrical equipment and circuits safer with protective earthing, but...
52
52

Drilling china ?
Our daughter has given us a 250mm dia china wall clock which has the hands of grandchild No 1 impressed into it. The quartz clock mechanism was clearly the cheapest the potter could find - noisy and...
20
20

OT - Soundproofing a rock tumbler...
I have been asked to investigate the possibility of significantly reducing the sound of a rock tumbler in operation. Bought (not by me) as a gift for a younger member of the family and is now using it...
14
14

Reviving a shower cubicle
My shower cubical was installed about 18 years ago, and is looking a bit grubby. It's got a decent sized rectangular tray made of something fairly solid with a glazed surface. It's in a corner of the...
1
1

OT: Microsoft Works files in Office 2007?
Sorry to be OT (again) but I posted this in microsoft.public.office.misc yesterday and had no replies yet, whereas this group is heavily populated with knowledgeable folks. A friend has some Microsoft...
15
15

External insulation
Some 1920/30s council houses near me are being externally clad in Kingspan and then rendered with something. The appearance is good but I am wondering how it will cope the a bit of rough treatment. I...
9
9

OT Skype adaptor for DECT phones
We have Skype subscriptions because we live partly in the UK and partly in Spain. In the UK we have 4 DECT phones running off one base unit. There are adaptors advertised to allow DECT phones to be...