Subject Author Posted Replies

Matching old architrave - make or buy?
We have to get some new architrave, and would like to match the existing architrave (possibly from the 1930s). Nothing available in sheds or builders merchants matches - it is just a simple angled...
17
17

What is the certificate I should precure from my central heating installer?
YAPH wrote in news: OK - thank you. Many thanks to all who advised. Seems like all is in order (or will be, after I receive the building regs certificate. PK
11
11

buy to let: tax implications?
Hello, I tried to post this last night but it is not showing here; apologies if you see double. I know I know there are some landlords in uk.diy and I will be doing the renovations myself, so I hope...
34
34

Ping Geoff : Boiler question ...
A few feet of copper wire shouldn't drop that much volts. My first thought was "tired" contacts in the thermal switch but that appears to be ruled out. So that leaves checking that all the connections...
13
13

ELCBs
Since discussion on them has come up a couple of times recently, thought it might be useful to collect together some information on them and the old testing procedure: / additions etc welcome.
5
5

El cheapo 12/240 inverters and laptop smps's.
Anyone have experience of using these together? TIA.
5
5

RCD follow up
Thanks to those who explained about the 300mA ELCB. I've been and had a look. The ELCB does trip when you press the test button. I don't know why she said it didn't. Anyway, here's a picture of the...
55
55

Oil CH copper pipe diameter - ID or OD?
I need to replace a bit of central hearing oil pipe which measures 10mm OD. If I get some pipe and fittings which are quoted as being 10mm, will I get what I want, or might I get something that is...
5
5

Add-on bypass circuit for combi boiler?
Hi all, When they installed the standard gas-fired, hot water central heating in my 3-bed semi, the plumbers insisted that my large lounge radiator should not fitted with a TRV, because it needed to...
40
40

OT; Bad company name
Noticed in local Yellow Pages, ready mixed concrete firm called: Jim'll Mix It. Oh dear :-)
44
44

Replacing a conservatory (permissions, drains, etc.)
Hello - My house has a disproportionately large conservatory attached, built by a previous owner, at least 10 years ago. It's a poor quality thing in every respect. Most importantly, the foundations...

Triphosphor Fluorescent Tube
I have 2 geartrays on the kitchen cupboard tops running 58w T8 1500mm tubes and when one tube failed I replaced both with triphosphor ones and now I find that they take about a minute to come up to...
1
1

replace torch filament with led
I see one may buy replacement 1W capsules for torches but they cost over a tenner plus postage. I also note that many cheap led torches have multiple leds and 3 cells to a battery with no electronics....
3
3

Plasterboard ceiling
I'm about to replace a small ceiling (7'4" X 7') with tapered edge plasterboard. I am not skilled enough to do a good job with skimming it so intend to just fill in the joints and paint it. Hence the...
12
12

Do you ever wonder how much heavier your house is...
...than when you bought it/when it was built? When I think of the timbers, boards, tiles, plaster, pipe and even paint etc that have passed over our threshold over the years with much less being taken...
20
20