Subject Author Posted Replies

[OT] 1950's WITCH computer running again
Now that is a real man's computer :) Bletchley Park - mostly original parts reassembled and now working. Beautiful to watch - all clicking relays and dekatron tubes :)
24
24

Aldi cassette player
They've got cassette players on Sunday for =A312.99. Seems a high price for= an obsolete item. NT
15
15

OT strange wifi disconnection
I have Virgin broadband and connect using Wifi on Vista laptop. It's fine for hours, strong signal but sometimes it'll go through a funny 15 minutes where the connection just drops, I get the red X...
17
17

Suggestions for packing out plasterboard ceiling
I need to put the final piece of plasterboard into my kitchen ceiling. The remaining space is 70 cm x 40 cm. I can pick up a small enough piece of plasterboard from B&Q to fit in my car but it is only...
13
13

cheapo SDS drill dies - suggestions for replacement?
12year old =A335 cheapo "Nutool" SDS drill just expired. poss best 35 I ever spent (on power tools at least) Suggestions/sources for a replacement please? (not Makita etc another cheapy will do fine)...
54
54

stripping emulsion off boiler casing
Someone has painted the mother-in-law's wall-hung boiler to match the walls - a girlie thing. The gas man is not impressed and I would like to remove it. It appears to be lilac vinyl silk emulsion on...
11
11

IP/WiFi relay/switches
I'm struggling to find any affordable means of remotely switching something on, at either mains, or with a relay. Is there a unit which can be setup, using port forwarding etc, such that I can switch...
19
19

Tidying-up a lawn border
I'm thinking of using some half-log roll to form a lawn edge and to allow a raised soil bed. The half logs are going to be buried about half their length and then I'll cast a narrow (2 inch?) concrete...
7
7

When residential space is at a premium
Spotted these rooftop houses while working up in Middlesbrough the other day. 's the chances they'd blow off in a gale? http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac327/turnstyler/rooftop-house.jpgWhat
8
8

Sending texts from a PC
My mobile phone reception is pretty much zero at home and I often need to send texts. I'm looking for website or an app from which I can send SMS texts to mobile phones. I have done this some years...
21
21

Gridwatch news.
Tilbury biomass seems to be off line But wind is actually producing something today. And the Eirgrid east-west connector is showing signs of life. We seem to be dumping power to Irish Republic today....
7
7

Internet oddity ...
I work from home, and have 2 broadband connections. Domestic (Virgin cable) and work (BT ADSL). Running a machine with Virgin, I get perfect internet access for browsing. Blazingly fast. My work...
12
12

dab radio with extension speakers (rambling)
When I'm on the computer I listen to radio. Radioplayer through the net is good, but the quality through my pc speakers (even with subwoofer) is not the best and football on 5live is not always...
12
12

Satellite Kit
Am thoroughly sick of paying for Virgin television - took a sledge hammer to even get an HD box, and as a Tivo-based box seems only available for more expensive packages, we can't even record while...
21
21

Ceiling speakers
Looking for some ceiling speakers for the new kitchen area. I plan to use a T amp something like suits 4 ohm speakers with which it has a max power output of 20W RMS (so 10W RMS with 8 ohm speakers?)....
19
19