Subject Author Posted Replies

problem with painted ceiling
Hi, I have recently painted by spare bedroom ceiling - thinking I had done a good job. However when it has dryed there are patches where I think I have applied too much paint, resulting in areas of...
3
3

Roofing progresses - chipboard deck!!!
The roofers who are doing my tiles said the flat dormer rooves was not done very well - and demonstrated it initially by showing me some creative use of felt instead of lead flashing. So, with some...
27
27

OT - "World’s Most Expensive Hard Drive Teardown"
21
21

More on curtains and their insulating effect
Fairly ordinary situation in the lounge, with a 6' x 6' double-glazed patio door at one end, installed to give a 6" recess; the curtain rail is screwed into the lintel above the door leaving said gap...
10
10

Holy crackers it's cold
One thing I was hoping for after moving up from London to Aberdeenshire this year was a proper winter for once with shed loads of snow and biting temperatures instead of the mushy slush we used to get...
14
14

Insulating a floor
Just reading the thread on the insulating effect of curtains has prompted me to post a question I've been mulling for a while. For good reasons, though contrary to the high principles of this group, I...
18
18

Power to server & machine and headend room from CU....
Hi all, I'm building a computer server farm, network switch rack and TV/Sat/Radio headend in my loft. All of these gadgets need 240 volt power via 13amp plugs. This means lots and lots of double...
5
5

LED Lightstrip Kit
I see Lidl are offering LED lightstrips on Monday. Any experience from previous purchases? Any other comments? They look like they might work right for us as a semi-permanent installation. That is,...
1
1

Painting MDF doors
Hi A friend of mine has made some MDF wardrobe doors for me, what is best to treat them prior to painting, and whats best paint and technique to finish them? Thanks Alec
3
3

Dormer bedrooms and cables.....
I have a Dormer bedroom. The CU is in the room under the dormer bedroom. There is a lighting T&E cable that runs from the CU under the dormer bedroom floor to the dormer eaves area of the bedroom. The...
1
1

Totally OT - How much was todays pastie in the £1 Bakery?
Any guesses how much they cost? All the same price no matter which one you buy
23
23

Stoopid question about TCT blades in sliding combi saws
Do they cut aluminium - specifically 2-3mm thick cast guttering - 4.5" standardish sort of stuff. Be handy if they did. I do not have a tooth count (but I could go and count them) but it's a medium...
15
15

TV distribution problem
We have a Sky+ and a Sky+ HD box in the same room. Both boxes are connected directly to the TV in the room and have their UHF outputs daisychained for distribution to other rooms. One box outputs to...
6
6

Curtain thermal lining 99p
from 99p stores, sold as 'christmas roll' its just curtain thermal lining. At 2-3mm thick its best to use 2 layers. It has a bit of glitter added, which isn't very noticeable, so might be best for...
3
3

Fibreboard
Insulating fibreboard, green 6mm for going under wood flooring - this is the same as LDF? Any info on it welcome too, primarily for the wiki. NT
1
1