Subject Author Posted Replies

Aldi O-Ring Assortment from Thursday 10th
Aldi O-ring set avail from Thurs 10th, £6.99: you're a jobbing handyman, unlikely to be used every day, but well worth having in stock for the odd domestic emergency.
14
14

Heres an interesting puzzle.
At 5 a.m. my internet connection went 'weird' Traceroute revealed that some internet sites were inaccessible whilst others going via the same router were just fine. I reported it to my ISP, sincere...

Electrician's vertical?
Kitchen designers and electricians need to talk more! I have two clashes where the mounting brackets for cupboards coincide with the drops to a light switch and the cooker outlet:-( My stud finder...
13
13

Cutting paving slabs
The source of much cursing! Especially getting them back out of the trailer when I finally got rid of them! SteveW
17
17

Sealed lead-acid battery charging - LT3652 alternatives
I need to build a charger for a small sealed lead-acid battery (12V, 2.3Ah, C/20) and was tempted to use the LT3652 until I realised it isn't available in a pin'ed DIL package. Is there anything with...
3
3

Cutting cast iron
I posted some time ago about fitting a cast iron fireplace into an existing marble surround. The correct way of doing it would be to remove the surround - but this is a great deal of work and I'm...
19
19

ESR meter.
Bought one of these:- it arrived today. First playing with says it's ok - especially at the price. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/181031222114and
7
7

Power off in the shed - alarms?
The top of the freezer will be warmest and defrost first. The weight might also be frozen to the lid with something with a lower freezing point than water so it thaws before the food.. Owain
47
47

brush type letterbox draught excluders- source for large?
Looking for larger than standard brush letterbox excluder- abt 4 inches tall &12 images wide as fitted. Seen the separate brush strips for sale on ebay etc but hoping for a neater "manufactured"...
9
9

What's the fitting called for a 12V halogen downlighter?
It has spring clips to hold it against the plasterboard, but I'm darned if I can locate one on the web! What should I be searching for? I've tried fitting, mount, spring clip etc. Halogen downlighters...
43
43

[OT] What are the odds...
Of a small Atom based fanless computer with a solid state disk that was designed to be bombproof, getting a bad sector and that sector being the inode containing the directory data for /sbin/ ?!! It...
10
10

HELP! Honeywell ST699 programmer wont turn off
i have one of these problem is it wont turn off, even when the switches are in the off position. The lights stay on and the boiler is constantly running. Can it be repaired? Or would a replacement...
14
14

Amplifier cutting out
My technics am/fm amplifier keeps cutting out after ~15 minutes. I only use it with the tuner (having disposed of the CD and cassette players) Power is restored with a traditional tap on the amplifier...
20
20

[OT] Hire car boot size...
Looking to rent a car at Easter, and size of the boot is critical (staying 3 hours from airport for 2 weeks). These two cars seem to be the closest match in terms of size/price/etc - at the photos of...
17
17

small coastal tanker capacities
Can anyone give me some idea of the capacities of small coastal oil tankers? For example, how many litres of oil would the average 4000dwt tanker hold? There are plenty of pictures of coastal tankers...
13
13