Subject Author Posted Replies

This would be more than a few weekends work.
amazing piece of engineering/furniture.
2
2

Plaster skim possible?
My daughter has taken down a dado rail from her living room. It was glued to the plasterboard so naturally there are some areas of damage to the surface paper layer. She wants a flat surface with matt...
4
4

OT. RSS
I view RSS on a Nexus 7 (runs Andriod Jelly Bean) I use a number of different feeds from the BBC but some news items are sent out by several different feeds because they fall under several categories....

Boiler condensate
I'm feeding the condensate output of a boiler into a bucket for a few days while I'm working on a kitchen. (It had been connected to a sink drain.) Are the vapours from this liquid dangerous in any...
5
5

Coldest day of winter an Tilbury 'renewable' burner is offline?
RWEs tilbury plant appears to be generating nothing. Anyone know why? Wind as usual contributing little, and no continental surplus either... And I have NEVER seen 900MW of OIL power online since the...
14
14

RIP: Blockbuster
DVD rental firm Blockbuster becomes the latest UK High Street firm to go into administration after struggling to compete against internet-based rivals.
97
97

Insulating internal cavity wall
Our house (1930s) has what used to be an external wall, but which has become an internal one, due to various extensions done before our time. I haven't been into the attic to have a look, but I'm...
5
5

paying cash innit?
Is there a limit to how much you can an invoice "in cash" before "others" become interested/require notification etc ? presumably they are interested in the source of that cash, tax status of it,...
24
24

Naff one coat plaster
Is it my lack of skill or the plaster? I have had to cut out a smallish area of plaster to fill in a large crack. Normally I use undercoat and the finish plaster, though no expert I can usually get a...
18
18

Garage compensation update
Following advice in an earlier thread about extreme condensation in a sectional concrete garage, I tried laying a plastic membrane sheet over the entire floor area. This reduced the problem almost to...
9
9

Cold weather advice from Sheila's Wheels
I've just received this cold-weather advice from my home insurance co. Number 5 is particularly excellent. G'day Being a savvy Sheila you?ll know that our houses are susceptible to problems that can...
16
16

Oh look wood burners cause global warming.
New research says that black carbon, or soot, is making a much larger contribution to global warming than previously recognised.
102
102

Car boot lock
Mrs Pounder's 2005 Nissan Micra. The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts. It was only a small amount. Up and down with the boot lid, no squeak. Closed boot lid. Now it will...
32
32

OT: another moan about customer service - the AA this time
AA renewal time, having been a "member" (AKA "customer") for 30+ years. Renewal cost £238 ... methinks that's a little high so rings them up and has a friendly chat ... reduced to £144 because I've...
29
29

Largish Mitre Block
I have a number of 45 degree skirting board cuts to do - a circular saw I have is too coarse, and my own attempt to make a block isn't sufficiently accurate. I've been round B&Q, Wickes and Screwfix,...
10
10