Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Why is my PC uploading 15Gb per day to the internet
Am having a bit of a panic over this... I recently upgraded my router firmware to the OpenSource DD-WRT and consequently I now have a lot more information available to me than previously about my home...
20
20

Frost and laptop batteries
My Sony lappie battery, circa 5 years old, seems to have fallen off a capac= ity cliff edge in the last few weeks, only last half an hour now. It has b= een left out in the car boot at -8 deg. C a few...
5
5

Fixing a washing machine - the mechanical controller unit
I have a 13 year old Bosch WFB 2005 washing machine. When I switched it on the other day, set to a normal wash cycle, it started to fill with water, then 20 seconds later there was a small bang and a...
18
18

towerstat rf turning off before set temp reached
Hi I wonder if anybody can help me? I have had a towerstat rf transmitter and receiver on a potterton combi boiler for past 4 years. I've never had a problem before, then a few months ago I noticed...
11
11

Cover for Honeywell ST699 Programmer/heating control??
Is there a cover available for the ST699 which would make the controls a little less available to wandering hands (not the small kind, more of the 90-year-old forgetful kind: my Mum thinks she knows...
6
6

So who has made themselves..
A diy snow plough? Could be mounted on a lawn mower and if you have a water resistent vacuum, you could have a snow blower as well. Brian
9
9

flint blocks
Anyone got any experience with concrete blocks faced with flint? Mostly produced by small manufacturers by the look of it, and not easy to get a guide price. An adjoining property to us is building an...
5
5

Vacuum fluorescent display.
The old car has a green vacuum fluorescent display for the clock and OBC. On a cold and damp day it tends to show all the segments until it warms up then comes good. The obvious thing would be to...
5
5

Boiler leak.. then another... then another
OK, so am I missing something here? I fix a leak and another appears.. We've two system boilers that run in parallel for some reason. Vaillant thermocompacts - both of them - about 10 years old now....
2
2

Bit of PVA'll sort it...
I am sure this sort of thing is well-known, but it hit me between the eyes this morning: "New polymer-halloysite hybrid materials--potential controlled drug release system. Ghebaur A, Garea SA, Iovu...
7
7

Blocked condensate pipe
Woke up this morning to find a d1 error - condensate pipe/trap blocked on my Vokera. Frozen, obviously - except it couldn't be, because it routes to an internal waste stack. I extracted the pipe and...
6
6

Need to move socket, but how?
Situation is as seen in the diagram here: is on a ring main, socket2 a spur off it so that they are on either side of a brick wall. The feed for socket2 runs directly through the wall from the back of...
12
12

DreamLiner and Li-ion
So they've just discovered Li-ion can be a fire risk?
177
177

DIY fluorescent lights - RFI interference
I've wired two dual dimmable ballasts (philips) on top of two runs of kitchen cabinets (4 x 36W tubes). Not wired up the dimming potentiometer yet. But I cannot now use the mains FM radio by the...
29
29

Result !!! Technology wins over duff electrician
Half way through our refurb we had to change electricians as the original one ceased coming! He was moonlighting it turned out and his employer found out. Good thing probably as we have found numerous...
11
11