Subject Author Posted Replies

Testing ELI
I have TT earthing and want to check the earth loop impedance because I think the earth rods installed may need replacing, or at least siting elsewhere. Problem is I don't have a tester and,...
11
11

Halogen downlight phase out
Has anyone (probably Andrew Gabriel) got the full SP on what is happening with them? AFAIK B rated MR16s will be allowed after 2016.
2
2

The best way for a bit of electircal work?
I have a room which was a bathroom, which I shall be re-purposing to storage / freezer etc. It may become a laundry room depending on what else happens. It shares a wall with the garage, which has no...
31
31

warning - Machine Mart
I bought an item from Machine Mart (magnifier & Fl light) it was useless, quality of magnifier lens was so poor everything was out of focus. Took it back the next day ... as I had 'opened the box'...
56
56

Drayton TRV Where is the "give"
I have some Drayton TRV3 units which are probably 15 years old. I find that on the frost setting they do shut off the water supply and the radiator goes cold but only at room temperatures of 15C or...
1
1

Re: Credit where it's due ...
the general assumption is that it's easier to complain than praise. A certain high street store certainly likes to put that into principle. They have no email contact details on their website. If I...
2
2

So hows that solar thingy doing for ya, Harry?
" even in winter, they produce SOME power" Er..possibly. tend to say that you'd need a high impedance meter to meausure it, tho. :0)...
6
6

New car security
Heard a piece on R4 last week, about a "new" threat to car security, whereby thieves buy some sort of kit off t'internet, and then plug it into a cars onboard computer, which enables them to program a...
65
65

Wireless thermostat that doesn't need mains wiring?
Bought this from Screwfix at = the weekend, after taking a look behind my existing Drayton Digistat 3 ther= mostat and discovering it is only wired with a live / switched live (there = is another...
3
3

New Boiler Recommendations
Ok, I am sure this has been asked many times before but I am interested in what the current view is. It snowed here Saturday night so its cold. Sunday morning the boiler failed to light and then with...
14
14

OT-ish: electrical air purifiers? deodourisers, ionizers etc?
Our spare room doubles as a home gym (ie, the rowing machine lives in there) and there are complaints from overnight guests (ie, my mother - others are too polite) about the ambient residual aroma....
6
6

Main Medway Super Scaled Up?
I've got a 'Main Medway Super' multipoint gas water heater which seems to not to be able to provide 'piping' hot water any more, I've adjusted the dial on the front (which I think just reduces the...
22
22

Zoning a central heating installation
Our house has a concrete ground floor so all of the downstairs radiators are fed from various points upstairs. This means that it's impossible to set up separate upstairs and downstairs zones. TRVs...
10
10

New house drips in loft
I had to fit an aerial in a new house recently. When I opened the hatch a b= it of water ran down on to me. In the loft on the roof there were loads of = drips, and the plastic bags that the customer...
6
6

Tools shed and condensation
I have a few tools in the wooden shed, this is new for me as last house had a double heated garage. Should I wrap the tools in polythene for over winter or leave as is to stop surface rust forming. I...
17
17