Subject Author Posted Replies

rechargeable batteries: are they worth it?
Hi, Before Christmas I bought lots of toys that needed batteries. I waited and waited for Lidl to do an offer on rechargeables but could not wait forever so I bought a pack of 40 alkaline AAs from CPC...
32
32

Aldi multi-tool reduced
Just stumbled across the multi-tool in the reduced bin at £19.99. There were three, I got one just before another guy (we are talking tenths of a second) and he dug a second one out with my help. As...
2
2

fitting a new kitchen
Hi, Our kitchen is looking old and tired. I've visited "the sheds" to look at their displays but it is hard to get a price without the hassle of booking an appointment to sit down with one of their...
25
25

Fire retarding material
Mother in Law has bought a cooker for her kitchen. It is gas operated and the installers refused to install it as the wall behind was varnished wood and was regarded as a fire risk. If a formica type...
9
9

Loft Insulation
Loft is boarded. As the loft is boarded I assume this in itself gives some degree of insulation. Would taking boards up and laying extra insulation make a significant difference? Or could extra...
11
11

Lukewarm water from immersion heater
Copper unvented hot water tank with horizontal immersion heater at the bottom on economy 7. Heater is OK as far as I can make out as is the thermostat. When power is applied the water can be heard to...
28
28

Extruded aluminium box
I have an extruded aluminium box - approx 6x4x2" - which has mouldings on the side which the correct mounting brackets slide into. And they are missing. I've seen this same box in various sizes used...
10
10

multifunction Miele washing-machine
Currently researching a replacement washing machine. Apparently the Miele I'm looking at has a Hygiene setting especially "For items where a high level of hygiene is required. Eliminates bacteria from...
18
18

Coffee shops-seriously OT:-)
According to the Telegraph we are threatened with a loss of inward investment due to harsh words over *smelling the coffee*. It occurred to me to wonder what real effect this might have. Presumably...
11
11

Drax aiming for 50% biomass in next few years
This may be old news to some here, but seen on Countryfile, Sunday evening. BBC i-player, approx 25 mins from start. Ignore the Heathrow bit at the beginning. Two massive storage silos being...
22
22

What cordless combi/driver drill?
Hi All, After eventually getting through the image verification, I can post my first thread! I a DIY user from Ireland, and I currently have a corded SDS drill for all the DIY heavy work. I mostly...
9
9

New technology wind turbine for TNP
feel sure he'll love this one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WindbeltI
56
56

webpage zoom in/out
All but one of my webpages are set to read as I prefer them (size) I know how to zoom in /out using Ctrl and +/- keys. but one website is always much larger (zoomed in) If I set this at a smaller size...
12
12

plasterboard stop beads?
Hopefully daftish question- is there a stop bead for 12.5mm Pb ? Or what do others use? I need to "stop" some Pb where it meets some ply access panels in a stud wall. Cheers Jim K
22
22

Electric shower needs more pressure
Have fitted an electric shower, but mains water pressure is too low here an the shower keeps cutting out with a low pressure warning. It's supposed to work with a minimum of 1 bar, but obviously must...
17
17