Subject Author Posted Replies

Floor paint over PVA
I primed our new garage floor with pva to keep the dust down, and then a while later painted it with solvent-based Leyland floor paint off Screwfix. Surprise, surprise - the solvent-based paint...
12
12

Replacing a surface mount processor.
I have a Megasquirt aftermarket car ECU with one of the injector circuits dead. Turns out to be the daughter board with the processor on it. Substituting the board sorts things, and probing with a...
39
39

Large Satellite Dish required
I have looked for Fibreglass or alluminium dishes all over the place. There must be some around somewhere, hopefull in Norfolk. I need something of about 2 metres diameter, to generate steam from the...
13
13

OT AA breakdown cover renewal
Following a post last month on the same subject I just called the AA to say I was leaving them. The guy on the phone said he would look into what he could do for me to reduce my premium. I cut him...
14
14

Possible to replace Wilo warm water circulation pump?
Hello, Our gas central heating boiler also provides hot water via a hot tank, loca ted in the cellar. Becaue of the distance from the hot tank to the rest of the house, the hot water pipes are looped...
27
27

Large single phase stick welder tripping breaker
I have inherited a large Oxford 250 amp welder. On connecting it up to what I thought was a suitable supply, it trips a 32 amp breaker, when I input between the 0 and 240 volt terminals, there are...
10
10

OT. speaking of foods of dubious origins...
... I came across this poem the other day that may amuse you. Haggis Much to his dad and mum's dismay Horace ate himself one day He didn't stop to say his grace He just sat down and ate his face "We...
4
4

Lifting an awning.
I've asked a similar thing before, but installing awnings has taken off like a rocket. Up to about 3.5 metres - about 50kg - they are a two man lift. Much above that, its three. Problem being I can't...
45
45

Adding a socket - spur or ring?
I need an additional double socket in the kitchen. The socket will supply a microwave (900w I think) and a deep freezer (about chest high, not sure about rating). The easiest solution in term of...
38
38

DIY magazine ( OT?)
Hi, My OH has a birthday soon. I would like to get him a magazine subscription ,preferably to a DIY type magazine. The trouble is I cannot find any. Many years ago he used to buy "Practical Plumber"...
26
26

Ecobuild 5th - 7th March
Anyone from here planning on having a nose around at the Ecobuild exhibition this year? Net zero pioneer Futurebuild, will take place at London’s ExCeL on the 01 - 03 March 2022. Futurebuild...
6
6

Condensation and wardrobe question
Have a problem with condensation in an 80mm "dead space" between the "end" of a wardrobe and an external solid, (non-cavity) wall. The wardrobe is situated along an internal wall and this is the only...
2
2

'No practical use' for 17-million digit prime number
Why is it only "thought" to be the largest prime number ever identified? Curtis Cooper, who has discovered what is thought to be the largest prime number ever identified, admits he's not aware of "any...
7
7

Boiler flue terminals
Hi I am looking for advice! I need to fit a terminal cage around my boiler flue as it is less than 2m from the ground. I am aware that there needs to be a 50mm clearance between any part of the...
3
3

TOT: Fleetwood Mac tickets sold out instantly
On hearing this week that Fleetwood Mac has annouced a tour later this year, SWMBO and I hoped to fulfil a 30-year ambition to go and see them. Tickets went on general sale this morning at 9.00am so I...
27
27