Subject Author Posted Replies

DIY muscles?
I remember in the 90s, you could go to Boots and you could buy one of these machines to develop abdominal muscles. I am reaching a certain age and I am gym-phobic. Do these machines work? SF
22
22

A chilling forecast.
From the Telegraph... "Economic growth as we know it is impossible if governments shift to 100 per cent renewable energy, a renowned French climatologist has said. Jean-Marc Jancovici, the author of...
65
65

Modern electronics and radio interference
It seems to me that although things like lighting and power supplies are more efficient and small, the care taken to suppress the sort of crud they radiate down the mains is ridiculous. As a person...
74
74

Octopus Tracker tariff - advance rate warning
I've just changed to their Tracker tariff, and I've heard there is a website you can sign up to receive a text, the day before, suggesting what the following days tariff will be. Does anyone know...
3
3

OK/Hey Google issues
Trying to set this all up on my Galaxy A7. In theory, according to all the settings, it should recognise "OK Google" and activate the assistant. I have enabled the "even on lock screen setting". In...
2
2

Internet connection
Ok so Open Reach may have finally fixed it! Third visit over 4 weeks. Fault appears to have been due to water ingress to distribution cabinet in contact with unsleeved wiring. The fault was initially...
132
132

EVs causing potholes ?
I recently read a suggestion that some potholes in the UK may be due to the action of EV acceleration. If true it's a good reason to tax them more.
158
158

Firefox update
Busy browsing to find a solution to a dripping Quooker tap, I was interrupted by a Firefox upgrade offer! My system is set to automatically install upgrades so I dumped it. Was this a scam? Very fancy...
5
5

Sprinklers in high rise estates?
I live in a high rise council estate. I received a letter from the company that do all the maintenance on behalf of the council. I am supposed to receive a visit from some engineers to check the state...
5
5

American DIY
Interesting exchange in a Facebook group called "Our Old House" which is mainly about people doing up "old" (seems to be 1980 or earlier) houses, many of which I think we would refer to as sheds as...
11
11

Fuse Dilemma
I am fitting a Manrose MF100T ventilation fan in our bathroom. This will have a 3 pole isolator outside the bathroom and the plan is to run it in conjunction with the bathroom light so that the fan...
64
64

Water softener operation
Checking the salt level in our Nuwave MD600 recently, I was surprised to find the outer container nearly full of brine! Probably at the overflow outlet level. Is this normal? I don't remember ever...
4
4

Bath shower tap attachment
Has anyone got a good recommendation for a bath shower attachment similar to: bath tap outlets are elliptical, 3cm x 2cm and the vertical component is quite short. Water is at mains pressure. The bath...
4
4

Reducing internal compression coupler 15mm to 10mm
Hi, I'm about to change some radiator valves, which are getting old and will replace them with TRVs. I originally installed my heating with 10mm copper pipe. So, the new TRVs which I've bought have...
6
6

Appliance manual handling
Without help, I need to demount (and possibly remount later) a tumble dryer stacked on top of a washing machine (about 95cm high). The instructions say it's about 50kg, which is a bit much to lift by...
32
32