Subject Author Posted Replies

OT - of interest to senior members
In message , Another Dave writes It made it the same for men as women, which was one of the drivers behind raising the pension age for women.
123
123

GU10 oddity
I have a GU10 4-light fitting in the kitchen, fitted in August last year. Since then I have gone through 6 replacement bulbs, all but one have been in the same position in the fitting. Coincidence or...
20
20

Ordinary radiator- move water inlet to top tapping?
Ive got a large, heavy & expensive but otherwise ordinary radiator to which I want to fit a Honeywell "Rondostat" digital TRV. Sadly it has an LED display that can't be read with the 'stat in the...
47
47

Picking an underlay
I'm Having a carpet fitted by carpetright (who curiously couldn't be beaten on price by all the local independants I tried). Anyway, opted to sort out my own underlay, as I know they massively markup...
12
12

Eterna RDT10A putting out RF noise
We have one of these to control a nightlight. Works fine but when the light is on, the unit puts out a lot of RF noise in the FM band, which has finally driven SWMBO up the wall. Could this be fixed...
5
5

The heating-on-all-day argument
Yes, the eternal question. I've always subscribed to (what I think is) the uk.d-i-y orthodoxy that you pay for lost heat, and having the place hot 24/ 7 just means more heat loss, so must be more...
41
41

DHW & CH programmers
Over the summer I will be upgrading my system but I am trying to find a programmer that will suit my shift patterns. As I work at different shifts over a three week rosta I want a programmer where I...
7
7

OT - uses for 3.5 * 30mm turbo gold?
On my third bulk pack of turbogold screws from Screwfix and I'm accumulating a stock of 3.5 * 30mm and 4 * 30mm. There most be something that requires 30mm screws :-) Cheers Dave R
11
11

Is there such a person… who works as an independent arranger of house repairs/maintenance
… who works as an independent arranger of house repairs/maintenance? ie who can actually get decent people to quote and do a good job? I'm fed up with tradespeople turning up, saying they'll quote...
13
13

More on the loft door - plywood or blockboard?
Looking again at the current loft door it is 18mm plywood of some sort - although I am wondering if it is ply or some kind of blockboard. Faced on both sides but the core looks quite solid. Yes - just...
2
2

has 15mm copper tube recently got thinner walled?
I've noticed recently that my 15mm compression joints seem to leak more often than they used to. There seems to be a smaller region between "too loose" and "overtight" when doing them up. Has the wall...
18
18

Partition/supporting wall
At some point I am looking to refurbish my downstair shower room, due to space it is possible to make it bigger by taking away a plasterboard wall and siting it 3 feet further along. Is there a way to...
7
7

CPC webfree extended indefinitely
CPC have extended their free delivery offer indefinitely. Applies to all in-stock orders, no minimum order. Details: http://cpc.farnell.com/
15
15

Fluorescent control unit query
Is it OK to only use two of the outputs of a quad control unit like this? I don't know if the other two would need some kind of load or termination. (It would just be a spare for my aquarium lighting,...
4
4

Kitchen tap - you get what you pay for?
Looking to replace the monobloc tap in the kitchen that has died after ~5 years. Possible replacements seem to vary in price from £30-£300. One we replace was around £60 IIRC. Don't want to pay...
19
19