Subject Author Posted Replies

Saniflo
We have a plan. At the front of our house is a tiny room, it could fit a bed in but we want to convert it to a shower room and toilet. Problem is all the services, water and drainage, are at the back...
29
29

Varnish or Oil for Wooden Door Cladding
My rear sliding door has an aluminum frame, which is faced off with wood slats which i think are cedar wood. Over very many years i've tried various modern varnishes like Ronseal etc, but it always...
10
10

OT If you like gimmicks
2
2

Ionisation electrode
My Viessmann boiler threw a wobbly and tripped out. Press the re-set, and it went through all the normal startup procedure (fans whirring, solenoids clicking), but then tripped again, so I was hoping...
36
36

Anyone recommend a good quality alarm?
Hi, I'm in the market for an alarm for a domestic house. I need: 20 wired zones (achieved by add on zone expanders if necessary) to use EOL wiring (I don't want wireless and I have a lot of rooms plus...
1
1

Draining and refilling Sealed CH System
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar CDI Boiler. I have read the instructions regarding using the filling key to initially fill the system. However, in the coming months I shall be having some work...
5
5

Old floorboards
I was given some old floorboards a few months back and am no splitting some for kindling. I was surprised to discover that in the absence of T&G to lock them together they were joined with wooden...
5
5

Carbon Monoxide detector
Just bought a CO detector - decent brand (Honeywell), brand new and looks well constructed. The self Test button works fine. I just thought though, that button tests the electronics and the beeper -...
10
10

OT The EU again
52
52

fitting of Amtico Spacia flooring - is this an unreasonable price?
Have just got a quote for fitting around 12sqm of Amtico Spacia flooring of just over £1100. That seems high to me. At £40/sqm the tiles'll cost around £500 so for sealing the concrete & screeding...
13
13

ADT Alarms
Just saw an advert which, about ADT alarms, says this: "All systems are monitored 24/7 265 days a year!" I guess you hope you get burgled in the right nine months (approx.). :-) And could be fun...

[OT ish] Log stacking
Cut and split logs for a wood burner. Would you stack them bark up or bark down?
41
41

Which solder for electronics?
Why, why and why? No, you use solder paste. MBQ
81
81

cable routing question and wiring regs.
I'm aware of the rules regarding the appropriate routing of concealed T&E cables, i.e. within 50mm of wall edges/corners, in vertical or horizontal lines from a visible electrical accessory or greater...
17
17

OT(?): Impressive Farnell delivery time
Ordered £20 worth of components the other evening at 7:30pm and they arri ved the following morning at 10:30am... That was the free delivery option t oo! When the Farnell box arrived I actually...
13
13