Subject Author Posted Replies

Outset gas fire with radiants, glass front and thermostat????
Does anyone produce these? Make and model much appreciated. I don't want a toffs "flame effect" (logs/coal/pebbles), I want convected (partially radiant) heat. TIA.

Leak in central heating system, how to trace
My sons gas central heating (combi, make unknown) requires topping up almost every day, it is a council house and they have came out twice and say the boiler is fine, son reckons about 1 litre top up...
5
5

Dimmers slowly failing
The new dimmers are slowly failing. Don't know the brand without a lot of digging buy I thought I'd post the general symptoms. Failure is to go off (sometimes after flickering) just below full blast....
5
5

OT; Comments?
Interested in your comments especially on the 'offers'. Is there someone in your area? http://www.dialahandyman.com/
9
9

Taping down Underlay?
Hi, picked a livingroom/hall carpet from CarpetRight (actually a decent price, no local independants were anywhere close on price). Aware that they rip you off on sundries when doing fitting, so I...
8
8

USB SNAG
I have a TV with a USB port. When the TV is on the USB port is live. This is ideal for my application of using an Android stick device which is powered via the usb port in the TV. to receive video/TV...
6
6

Replacing insulation on uPVC windows
In the sitting room of my flat there are three uPVC windows exposed to wind and rain blown in at high velocities off the River Clyde estuary. There is a large centre window with the glazed part being...
4
4

Builders Merchants
Just starting my first major renovation and about to shop around the different builder's merchants. What is your advice, should I go with Travis Perkins - assume that as they are the biggest they...
19
19

Generators
Given that the rolling blackouts are likely to start in the next year or so, what kind of generator shall I buy? I'd prefer one that can run on central heating fuel, since I have a BFO tank of it.
119
119

curved sliding door shower - wheels/bogeys - sources ?
sliding curved shower doors run on tracks with wheels/bogeys attached to the glass doors, running in/on tracks top and bottom - a few of these have failed as their plastic bodies have cracked...
6
6

Bin bags
I appear to have missed the new law they bought in requiring any and all refuse sacks to be no thinner than a butterflys handkerchief. Looking at the offering from Tescos, Sainsburys, Morrisons, B&Q,...
63
63

[O.T.' ish ] Removing that Banksie?
What beats me is how they could they have taken it off the wall without damaging it extensively? Any suggestions - just in case he does one on my gable end.
16
16

Router fine depth adjustment
How important is router fine depth adjustment? I'm trying to decide between these two, and it basically comes down to fine depth adjustment: - Bosch POF 1200 - Bosch POF 1400 The price difference is...
23
23

Vent Axia Mixed Flow Fan
Evenin' all, It's not often I rave so much about a product however, I think this one is worth mentioning. Recently we had our bathroom redone, it had a 4inch extractor fan fitted through the wall,...

Burglars and alarms
I have said before and I'll say it again. Burglars like houses without burglar alarms. The house opposite mine was burgled this afternoon. As cool as you like they knocked on the door to check no-one...
27
27