Subject Author Posted Replies

a question for the professionals
a question for the professionals If you're working in someone's home & you find that they've done some DIY that is functional but incompetently done how do you deal with it? Are you polite or...
25
25

Boiling water taps - any experience?
Our new(ish) kitchen conversion is a long way from the hot cylinder in the airing cupboard, with the result that it takes a long time to get hot water when we run the hot tap. It's not really feasible...
35
35

Cleaning an oil stone
My oil stone is getting really filthy and slimy, but I'm reluctant to buy new, if I could say restore it to a level where it's useable. I surfed and came up with the following. I'm happy to boil on...
8
8

Induction hob and old brass pan
I have an old and heavy (8 kilos empty) brass pan that I use for jam-making. It is ideal for the purpose, the thick brass bottom preventing any burning or sticking while boiling jam and it is big...
53
53

OT news item
It is reported that pork has been found in halal chicken sausages served to children at a Church of England primary school in London. Does anybody else find it hard to correlate "Church of England...
30
30

Dyson DC03 cyclone unclogging procedure
There probably aren't many more of these around any more, but the procedure may be similar for other models. The fault was that over time it gradually loses suck. The filters are clean, but it sucks...
10
10

New nuclear technology
New nuke could POWER WORLD UNTIL 2083 • The Register
49
49

Anyone know about water softeners?
Permutit unit, with an Autotrol valve. There's a thing called an "air check valve" that stops air being sucked in from the brine tank once all the brine has been used. This has a little rubber ball;...
12
12

Re. friggin cold phone callers 2
At the risk of moving this back on topic:-) While shifting some hay bales this afternoon a stray thought about answer phones crossed my mind. How do the recorded message versions know they have...
3
3

The unwanted television
I have a little Sony, it?s a Trinitron you see My son came round on Thursday and he foisted it on me It?s a lovely little telly and it has its own remote But its analogue, not digital, and worth...
32
32

DIY staff 'are best at explaining products'
DIY staff 'are best at explaining products' Staff in DIY stores and garden centres emerge in a new survey as having the best product knowledge and being most effective in explaining product benefits...
7
7

DIYer recovers after screwdriver penetrates head
DIYer recovers after screwdriver penetrates head A DIY enthusiast is expected to make a full recovery after falling onto a screwdriver, which pierced his skull....
10
10

OT - Importing a Northern Irish car into England
I have no paperwork at all. All I have is a car with an NI number plate and the keys. Any ideas? All the DVLA website says is "contact the DVLA"
51
51

decoding yEnc files
How do you decode them ?
2
2

10 pi projects ...
Ten pi-fect projects for your new Raspberry Pi • The Register
6
6