Subject Author Posted Replies

Toilet cistern fill valve problem
I took a quick look at a friend?s toilet cistern the other day as it seem ed to be misbehaving in the area where the water enters ? spilling water out and making horrible vibrating noises in the...
6
6

Concrete Shed roof leaking
My mother-in-law has an ex-council semi-detached house, built in the early-to-mid 60s. In the garden is a brick-built shed that is joined to it's mirror-image next door at the boundary (there's a...
7
7

Multicore cable to central hanging light ?
The central hall light had two perished wires and a hanging wooden frame with 4 lightbulbs, What cable shall I replace it with? 3core and earth could have two switchable lights, but some kind of...
2
2

Old chestnut - Self levelling compound
Laid a bag of SLC (Wickes latex) yesterday. Having read the feedback on their site, I followed the recommendation to add an extra litre of water to help it flow better. Not a bad outcome but could be...
6
6

OTish: interesting job
Been working at the old Buckmore Park scout place. Apparently it was built with the help of a Lottery grant. It was opened in 2001 and closed to the public in 2003. It cost £15 million to build....
27
27

Phwoaaaaaaaar, this gigabit stuff is the dogs doo-dahs.
I just bunged a gigabit switch on my LAN. Blimey, copying NAS1 to NAS2 via a pc (windows drag and drop), the pc is peaking at ~300Mbps. On the 100meg LAN it managed ~60Mbps. I ought to try FXP between...
49
49

Leaking microbore joint at TRV
HI, I've got a thermostatic radiator valve with a 10mm pipe going into it. It's leaking slowly at this junction. I invested in some nice new 10mm olives, but on draining the system down and attempting...
3
3

Nickel-Zinc rechargeable batteries report.
Hello all, I have a compact digital camera - Fujifilm Finepix E550 which runs on two A A sized batteries. I gave up using single-use cells with it due to the cost, and have been usi ng NiMH cells....
8
8

Roca baths
Has anyone here had experience of installing a Roca Princess bath with handgrips? I've just bought one, but the grips don't seem to fit the bath. Specifically, each grip is supposed to bolt into a...
4
4

Tiling on tiles (Bathroom)
Our bathroom could do with a facelift. It is fitted out as when the house was built: c.1960. The tiles (1/2-way up, all round) are bog-standard white. I would hack them off before re-tiling, but the...
19
19

Nuisance tripping RCD - down to oven I think?
ulation test every appliance first. I seem to have done my usual of writing to the thread and then failing to Send it ---dohhh! About a year or so ago a neighbour was having bother with his barn...
29
29

Cable insulation test at load side
Why is insulation testing alway described as occuring at the supply side of a circuit? Would it not work equally well at the load side? Alex
2
2

OT. Ten percent.
I wonder if our gov.will ever get round to the idea of taking 10% out of everyone's bank account? http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/17/us-cyprus-parliament-idUSBRE92G03I20130317
103
103

[?] Wood rot - how to repair or replace a decorative house fascia.
Here's my problem:- As part of the fascia (if that's even the right word) at the front of our 1930s built house is a wooden decorative piece, see picture of an identical one at:- I recently noticed...
5
5

Replacing wired room 'stat with wireless
Due to a new TV unit that's soon to go in I need to move my wired room stat. For simplicity I've decided to get a wireless one. My CH is the old school type, not a combi, tank in the loft, h/w...
6
6