Subject Author Posted Replies

Latest Fred & George - boat finally finished!
For those following the lifeboat restoration: Following the restoration of the George Elmy lifeboat by South Shields boatbuilder Fred Crowell. In this penultimate episode the George leaves Fred's yard...

Sizism - Short-arsed DIYers are a f*king liability
As already indicated, I'm not particularly happy about this kitchen. Doubtless many who saw it and the wider house, would think: "What's he moaning about, should think himself lucky!", and, to an...
15
15

DIY SIPs
I have a need to build a shed within my workshop. It's been fecking cold in there this winter - also, my tolerance to the cold has dropped somewhat (oddly enough, not on the bike so much). Anyway, I...
1
1

OT - Kenny Everett at the BBC
Hooray, it's Reg Prescott, who is to power tools what Sir Ranulph Fiennes is to frostbite. Any real life Reggies around? I have an uncle who lost a couple of fingers to a circular saw bench. Me...
19
19

Door lever handles or not.
I've a couple of cupboards for which I want a lever handle on the outside but I don't want anything on the inside. The only reason I'd fit lever handle on the inside is to keep the square bar in...
6
6

If you haven't already got one.....
Seems like a good deal.
3
3

Conduit drops: junction or loop?
When wiring PVC conduit drops to sockets on a radial circuit, would you loop the singles down the drop to the socket, then back up and on to the next? (i.e. 6 singles in the drop conduit) _______...
10
10

Pros & Cons Of Vacuum Cleaners
As per title, I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts. For example ... What are the best type in terms of flexibility and ease of use? For myself, I've tended to favour uprights. They're easier to...
49
49

Diy sos - the big build
It may be a mixture of that and a few local firms. Having looked again at the vehicles parked there is a flooring firm that is local and Toby has made me aware of another. But the others I don't...
33
33

Slugs in the shower
I used to get them when I moved into my first house. When I came to redo the bathroom, there was an old hole through the wall from an old bath waste which was not visible on the outside as it emerged...
17
17

Blood stains
What's left is the iron (probably in the form of rust now) from the hemoglobin in the blood, so anything that can get rust out is likely to work. Oxalic acid is a well know rust dissolver, but I would...
23
23

retaining ring things wtf are they called?
these be em BUT I probly need a larger size.... is there another form of words for this style? Jim K ----- I think 'starlock domed' are the best terms. Maybe this: I think they're only available in...
19
19

Cracked acrylic wash basin
Apart from finding suggestions that a bath tub might last 10 to 15 years, I'm struggling to find out any information on the strength of acrylic bathroom furniture over the passage of time. In this...
9
9

Didcot closes on Friday
last coal train in is on 23rd I think some anoraks are going to be there. Sad day
13
13

Unvented hot water heater pipework
I'm planning to install a small (10 or 15 litre) undersink water heater and am just checking that I can fulfil the requirements for the pressure relie f valve discharge. I expect there will be at...
6
6