Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Energy Costs
Could anyone explain the graph showing the relationship between consumer and wholesale energy costs on this page: Oddly, the article misses this point entirely, and doesn't refer to the graph. Doesn't...
30
30

Temporarily Block Underfloor Ventilation
Is this necessarily unwise when, for example, temperatures are around freezing? I'd have thought that moisture evaporation would be very low under such conditions, with benefits in comfort and lower...
3
3

OT. One for TNP
Carbon driven global warming.
1
1

Q about 1930s build
Our 1930s house (standard front porch 3-bed bay windows) had a garage to the side, with the garage roof sweeping up in line with the house roof (so forming a very large bit of roof). I assume...
8
8

Best way to get a light in under-stairs cupboard?
I recently moved into a house that has a decent sized understairs cupboard. It has no power (although it does have a length of T&E powering the alarm system, there is about 5 feet of cable on show...
6
6

Anyone managed to dismantle a Magimix Kettle (model 11691)
... like this one This is our third one, Magimix having replaced the previous two due to failure of the lid to either stay closed or failing to open. Now after 18 months this one is also failing to...
15
15

OT Search and Rescue
Whatever it is we can be sure 50% of the cost is paperwork.
87
87

If this were Part P...
"Deaths jump by 2,500 as millions struggle to heat homes in cold weather" That caught my eye. If a nuclear reactor killed 2500 people, all nuclear would be outlawed forever. If dodgey plumbing killed...
17
17

13A socket in toilet (not bathroom)
HI Folks In our rented shop, there are still some thrifty folks who insist on making their own tea / coffee (rather than buying the far nicer brew from the cafe round the corner) To let them do this,...
35
35

Electricity supply problems?
My daughter, who lives in South Devon, is reporting that her house lighting is flickering every few seconds... Are the benefits of renewable energy with us already?
30
30

Insulation of very low loft space
I have a cottage with quite a big loft, but very little vertical space in it - enough to crawl but not to stand. There is some fibre-glass insulation between the joists. I'm thinking of getting some...
11
11

Newbie Q, first floor airbrick
Unsurprisingly I'm on a draft fixing run at the moment. In my first floor box room is an airbrick/vent that's showing as 2C where the surrounding wall is about 12C. With the back of my hand it's...
4
4

How much paint for a gate?
How do you work out the area of a gate for purchasing paint? Guess? Metal, railings type thing.
6
6

Reducing static.
In my bedroom I seem to have developed a sudden increase in static electricity. Ie I only need to sit on the bed for a couple of minutes and the next large conductive mass I touch gives a spark up to...
23
23

CCTV for the elderly.
Grandparents had a con-man sniffing around today, but they aren't daft and so he was shoed away, and the police were called. But as they are getting more vulnerable, maybe it is time for some CCTV...
18
18