Subject Author Posted Replies

land boundary question and drain pipes!
Hi, Is there a rule about where one person's property ends and their neighbour's property begins? On my street the houses are built like this: detached house with garage attached on the side, then a...
27
27

Home gas & electricity monitoring
Trying to find a system that will allow me to monitor my electricity consumption for the house & garage (separately) and gas. For the gas I have a Schroeder G4 meter which needs a hall effect sensor....
5
5

Mobile Phones - Battery Life
I can't be the only one that needs a compact robust mobile phone that doesn't need recharging every day and does the basics very well. I have had a Nokia 6303i for ages and that was ideal until it had...
121
121

Finally making thermal store plumbing changes
Several years ago I received some (hopefully) good advice on this forum reg arding changing and simplifying the plumbing surrounding my thermal store. The store will transform from its convoluted...
3
3

OT: Not the answer to the energy crisis
Seen in a shop window in Salzburg: The caption on the card behind is purely fortuitous! Andy
8
8

Interchangeability of cabinet/wardrobe hinges
Are there any published standards for the fixing hole positions for concealed hinges, as used on cabinets and wardrobes? I assume there must be, because cabinets and doors often come with pre-drilled...
4
4

Boilers DHW baths and showers (dare I ask?)
Had a bit of a scare the other day when a boiler started making a whining sound. Enough to go through the house and wake us in the morning. I say 'a' boiler as we have two in tandem (large house, not...
10
10

Boiler kettling
My sister has just had the BG service on her system boiler. £750 quoted to sort out the kettling. Why is it kettling if the original fill was treated? Pumped micro bore to conventional radiators and...
7
7

Your Website
I found the site, at last. It was just one 's' in the name. ...Ray.
4
4

3-phase mess
I've just bought a new house (well, it's an old house) and the property has 3-phase coming into it, but when it was renovated in the 90s, a single-phase meter was installed and they didn't bother to...
28
28

Removeable steps for exterior wall
Hi, I am about to permanently cover my roof terrace, which will remove access to another small existing roof (I can currently get up there via step ladder from uncovered terrace). My neighbour's,...
2
2

OT:Used to be carpets ....
just had a knock at the door ... "I've just delivered a mattress, and I've a spare one I can't return, are you interested ..." Remember when you got a call and it was a carpet fitter who had some left...
1
1

Green mould?
What with it being such a wet last year, I've just noticed some items in my shed have picked up a funny green powdery coating. It's a light green - of the type sometimes seen on bread. I assume this...
5
5

Updating Septic Tank
The original house is now split into 7 homes, sharing the victorian septic tank for waste and rainwater. There are 2 chambers, the first for solids, and an overflow pipe pissing out into some muddy...
23
23

Mrs T's funeral
On Wednesday 17 April 2013 08:30 Brian Gaff wrote in uk.d-i-y: I would hope it would be Nigel Haywood, the incumbent Govenor - but it's hard to verify.
2
2