Subject Author Posted Replies

Electric Fire Fault
I've an old school (but fairly new and lightly used, maybe 50 hours) 2 bar electric fire. One of the bars failed to come on a few months back, and recently started playing up, with half a bar lit, and...
22
22

Plumbing Job
I have an unbalanced heating system in this 2 bed bungalow. I have a quote to help me sort it which consist of putting a new 2 metre (appx) radiator in the lounge with thermostatic valves, replacing...
21
21

Fitting new SSD - mission accomplished
Thanks for all the advice about fitting a new SSD. I decided to stick with what I know (Windows) so copied my existing data drive to an external drive then swapped over the hard drive for the SSD. I...
2
2

Oil Change?
My car was due a service last year but it had only done 4k miles since the one 12 months prior so I didn't bother. It's coming up to another 12 months and has done fewer than 1k further miles. I read...
30
30

Intriguing water level in our garden pond
We have a large pond, maybe about 50 feet diameter, in our garden. It isn't lined, so it relies on the natural impermeability of the chalky ground to retain (some of) the water. The only inlets are...
7
7

Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?
Idly browsing I came across this. Seems to be a greeny production but there's some core food for thought in it. - Science tells us there's enough energy in the first 10 kilometres below our planet's...
14
14

over-egging AFDDs?
<>the "mandate" he's talking about for them is pretty narrow in the types of property that require them. The use of AFDDs (Arc fault detection devices) will increase with the latest version of the UK...
59
59

OT Wii to tv via HDMI
My Nintendo Wii unit worked fine with my old Samsung 4k TV via the AV input cable. I now have an LG 4k OLED TV which doesn't have the AV inputs but does have a spare HDMI input. I got an HDMI adapter...
9
9

Bandsaw purchase
I need a bandsaw for general DIY work. Any advice re makes, models, etc? Bill
16
16

Plastic coated steel roofing - expected life of coating?
Over 10 years ago we built the Mother of All Sheds. The roofing was corrugated steel sheet with a green plastic coating. This last year the coating has started to lift off the areas which have been in...
8
8

Glowworm micron 60FF reset
Hi, I have a Glowworm Micron 60FF boiler, which keeps resetting. Reset light on solid. It happens once or twice a day. In between the resets, the boiler works fine. It makes little difference where...
17
17

Powerline adapters through generator
Will powerline adapters work through a generator with all electrical sockets connected to it? Im trying to set up WiFi at a remote location with various work trailers, all taking power from a truck...

Fencing questions
Having effected some temporary repairs on our fence (panel down due to wind), I was minded to wonder how feather-board fencing ought to be installed. In our case with panels 4ft or 5ft high or so, it...
27
27

Dust sheets and apprentice
Thick as fuck. A fully refurbished function room and so I dust sheeted up, did my ceiling damage and found the missing cable and asked the brain dead one to clean up. So he then emptied the dust sheet...
80
80

Dealing with plaster cracks
i am in a 1990's built brick and breeze block built house. i have some plaster cracks around the windows, on the walls that seem to come back even after the bathroom was re-plastered about ten years...
4
4